xp_logininfo fails to return correct users for domain group

• I have done some online searching on this issue and have not found any recent discussions or solutions. My gut feeling is that this is old technology. I am maintaining someone else's code as I'm the 3rd or 4th DBA to manage this database. And as such, the DW users want to maintain their current mode of operations. So we are migrating users from old domain to new domain but not all at once, so we have some users in new domain group and some users in old domain group, but we need to pull both groups and members into our SQL Server 2005 database in order to determine their report visibility, etc. Does anyone have any experience w/this sp or could give some recommendations as to how to import both domain groups and members?

Currently when I run the following query it returns the members for the 'OldDomain\RptGroup':

EXEC master.dbo.xp_logininfo 'NewDomain\RptGroup', 'members'

Any suggestions?

• Check if DSQUERY GROUP returns the same results as xp_logininfo?

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• Thank you Adiga for your reply. I'm not that familiar with OS commands, but I was finally able to get results from the dsquery group command via cmd... not sure how practical it will be to use this via SQL Server stored procedure, but I will give it a try to see if can get the same information that is needed to support the old code.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

• I was able to use the dsquery command to get the information needed.

Thank you again, Adiga for your recommendation.

• No problem. Nice to know that it was useful for you !

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply