Working with Instances

• Hello.

Any of you have any experience (good or bad) working with SQL Server instances?

We're setting an HR server, to hold a small but confidential DB. Since the use doesn't justify a new server I'm thinking in working with a new SQL instance on the production server, but don't know how problematic could it be.

As far as I've seen the same service is shared for both instances (default and other), so, if I don't want to use the account running the service (a sysadmin in default instance) at all inside the second instance I'm in a trouble. Is this true?

What can you advice to me regarding this instance thing?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

• I do not think so. Remember with multiple instance SQL Server listen on dynamic port. So it depends if your server have many application running which use port dynamically then it may be a problem. Just read on dynamic ports (You can chance this behaviour at the time of installation)

Secondly to hold a confidential DB you do not require to create even a new instance. You can limit the access to that database within the same instances (I am hoping sa password is kept confidential and all user are not administrator)

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia

• You can limit the access to that database within the same instances (I am hoping sa password is kept confidential and all user are not administrator)

Yes and no. SA password is well kept, but there are several users (corporate offices, the IT manager, a business support, ..) that are granted as sysadmins with little chances to get out of the group.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply