WMI Namespace Error when monitoring SQL Server using MOM 2005

• We are evulating the Microsoft Operations Manager 2005, an error raised from every managed computer (agent, or agentless). seems something missing in WMI, any know the details?
    "Description:
    The Microsoft SQL Server management pack failed to execute the SQL Server 2000 Block Analysis script successfully. The following error event was returned "Unable to open WMI Namespace 'winmgmts:\\wbdba253.cyence.com\root\default:StdRegProv'. Check to see if the WMI service is enabled and running, and ensure this WMI namespace exists.". The following additional error details were returned "". Please refer to the events associated with this alert to view the computers that have experienced this problem."
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• We are getting the same alert.Would like to know the cause of this.

• I am also getting the same error

Unable to open WMI Namespace 'winmgmts://xxxx.yyyy.zzzz/root/default:StdRegProv'. Check to see if the WMI service is enabled and running, and ensure this WMI namespace exists.". The following additional error details were returned "".

I also have been running MOM 2005 for a short time. Going throught the Docs for the SQL Management Pack and the MOM Ops Guide gave no insite as to why or how to fix it.

I have compare the two SQL server that do get the error another two SQL servers that do not and can not pin point the differences.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

• I thint that this no problem of SQL server.

I got this error on file server

• I have the same issue.  I suspect that it is a permissions issue (the account used for the MOM agent does not have the rights to see the WMI namespace) instead of the misleading error that implies that the namespace is missing.

Perhaps the solution is to give the user account the MOM agent is runnin gunder privs in the SQL user manager?

I am wary of doing this - does anyone else have any ideas?

• Hi All, is this problem solved already, and if yes, how?

• I have a problem with WMI Alerts in SQL Server that throws the same error message. I opened a case with MS and it turns out that the sqlwep.dll has a bug. The length of the server name is too short. Our server names are all 15 characters. A server name of less than 15 characters has no problem. MS will be releasing the fix in the next cumulative update.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• Thanks, but this will not be the issue with my server as the servername is 8 characters long 🙁

• There is one other thing you can try. It may be a simple case of "refreshing" WMI.

You need to be a sysadmin on the server for this. From the command prompt:

wmiadap /f

This forces a purge and discovery of classes in the WMI repository.

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• Thanks, but did not help either. If it is a security issue, where must I check?

• By default, sysadmins have full access to WMI. I really don't know where to point you if you have sysadmin. Have looked at the MSDN forums?

MG

Tony Hoare

• here is a link I found for troubleshooting WMI Security:

http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/08/14/wmi-troubleshooting-permissions.aspx

MG

Tony Hoare

• Just trying to get some feedback. Did anyone find a way to fix this problem? I'm having it on alot of my servers. Both Database and monitoring servers. Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply