with new sql login I get fatal exception

• I have SQL 2000 server with sp1. It was upgraded from SQL 7.0. Authentication mode is set to "SQL server and windows".

I create a new login (SQL login) and give max permissions on everything. Then I connect with this login to EMS. When I try to expand databases, I see absolutely nothing and server generates a dump file and an eror:

DESCRIPTION:Error: 0, Severity: 19, State: 0

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 54 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

With Profiler I tried to get more details. The only error I've got was error 208 and no description no nathing. But there were some activites with this login after this errors. And if I connect with this login name through "Query analizer", I can do wathever I want, and no errors happen.

This is happening only with "sql logins" and no with "Windows login".

Help, please

• Have you tried unregister/reregister the server in EM? Try creating a different sql login and using that, or maybe just using an existing one

Andy

• yes, and from the different EMS, but everything is the same. Only windows authenitcated login works OK.

• Did you upgrade your SQL Client tools?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• yes

• How about trying it on a different machine? Sounds like there is something wrong with your EM install and not SQL itself.

Andy

• I tried (I have several servers) an I've got same result. So EMS is not the problem. And I'm getting this problem only with sql login and not with windows login.

• Have you got a .dmp file and a copy of the error log we can look at? SP2 just released, you might consider installing it to see if it fixes the problem - be careful if this is a production machine of course. Other than that, your best be is probably MS support, hopefully it'll be a real issue and will not cost you $250 to get an answer!

Andy

• I have both files. But log is too big copy text to this messagge. I'will look at the sp2 fix list, and yes, Microsoft support will be called for help.

thanks Ines

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply