Windows Powershell

• I was debating learning Windows Powershell.  I'm wondering if anyone is using it and liking it.  Are there any pitfalls or difficulties?  What are you suing it for?

• Powershell + SMO can be a pretty powerful combination:

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/bobb/2006/11/07/SMOAndPowershellBetterTogetherTheScripts.aspx

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• Definitely worth learning if you are stuck in a windows world. If you need cross-platform compatibility, go for Python, in my opinion.

Bruce Payette's Powershell in Action is still the best book out there on the subject.

Cheers.

G. Milner

• I'll second the vote for Python. Easy to learn, extensible, and worked great on my boxes in a previous job. That being said, I need to take a second look at PowerShell. Supposedly, MS is trying to make most of their main apps expose their methods to the point that you could drive everything in PowerShell. That's definitely a plus for it.

-Pete

• Powershell is a nice language, but hey - why would you bother investing effort in a Windows-only language, whereas javascript, perl or python is just as powerful and may be used on other platforms as well?

• Probably the biggest reason to invest time in it is that MS is really investing time in PowerShell. Exchange 2007 can pretty much be driven by PowerShell. Anything you can do in the interface can be scripted and tweaked. From what I hear, MS is trying to do this with a lot of its server-class products.

I tend to agree on the whole, but I think that PowerShell has its advantages for MS-Only shops.

-Pete

• Thx, guys, for the posts.  This is a Windows only shop so Powershell might be the way to go but I actually have done a little Perl on the Unix side.  For some reason it never occurred to me to use it (or Python) on the Windows side!

Any other feedback, links, etc. would be much appreciated...

• here's a post about using SMO from powershell:

http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dan/archive/2005/12/29/17703.aspx

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply