Windows authentication without DC

• Hi,

I am a newby to SQL Server.

I work with a very small network of computers running XP Pro and belonging to the same workgroup (no DC).

I would like to grant differents rights on the database based on the user windows login or group.

This works fine for local connections, but remote connections are treated as if being generated by the 'Guest' user on the machine hosting the database service.

I could of course resort to SQL Server authentication, but it seems to me that security administration would become more of a headache.

Is this correct and is there any any other way of getting around the problem short of installing a server system (a bit of an overshoot in this case).

Thanks!

• You can install the same user/pwd combinations on your db server and it will try those from the remote server first. That's a headache as well.

If you have a small network, then SQL auth shouldn't be a huge burden. If you can run without a domain, chances are SQL autehntication isn't too big a problem.

• Hi!

Remote connections are treated as 'Guest' when "use simple file sharing" is selected on the XP Pro machines... Maybe deselect it... In this case You'll be prompted for a username/pwd combination already exists on the machine hosting the database service. In this case the XP Pro act like a little server with a 10 connection limit to it...

Hope that helps...

You should deselect "use simple file sharing" on all of the XP Pro machines for security reasons, too...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply