Will Hosted Services Take Your Job?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Will Hosted Services Take Your Job?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• In my experience there is using PaaS and there's using PaaS cost effectively.

I think a lot of companies have got a nasty shock when the 1st cloud bills came rolling in.

Getting the scaling and sizing right and making sure you have the necessary alerts and everything that acts on those alerts is still a challenge.

Keeping an eye on changes to your particular PaaS is an important part of cost management.

Recently I wanted to run PyArrow in an Alpine Linux container. This required building PyArrow from source code.  We discovered that the speed of compilation depends on which chip you compile for and on what chip is doing the compilation.

For compiling on ARM for ARM or AMD for AMD it takes 30 minutes.

For ARM for AMD or vice versa it takes 18hours.  Big cost differential if you are trying to do it using Github runners and you aren't using self-hosted runners. GitHub will terminate any process after 6 hours anyway so you'll have nothing to show for an 8 hour bill

• And you, you should not be in fear for your job. Ha!

You've hit it on the head. I love this stuff. I do. However, like anything, used badly, it's going to hurt.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply