Why to backup on seperate folders?

• Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why we need to take the Full and Differential backups on separate instead of same folder.

What are the disadvantages if we take both the backups in same folders?

What are the advantages if we take on separate folders?

If you can provide me any document on this I will be really thankful...

Thanks in Advance!!!

Vinu

• vinu (8/12/2008)

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why we need to take the Full and Differential backups on separate instead of same folder.

What are the disadvantages if we take both the backups in same folders?

What are the advantages if we take on separate folders?

If you can provide me any document on this I will be really thankful...

Thanks in Advance!!!

Vinu

From SQL Server's perspective there is no need to store the backups in different folders. If you have to do this I suspect this is because of organizational policies or space issues? It may be easier to organize the diff backups (after all if you just want to restore to the latest state, you need the latest full backup, and the latest diff backup, so the diff backups between the last successful full backup and the last successful diff backups are not needed, and can be recycled.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Thank you First of all for your quick response.

What you have told is correct but if we are taking both the backups in the same folder will it wont effect the drivespace of that drive.As each and every time the files gets appended and it may cause to loose the space fastly.

Beacuse i have noticed that if we take in same folders it keep taking much space and the drive used to run out of space.So I am just trying to findout any uses if we take those backups in separate folders.

Can you help me out!!

• vinu (8/12/2008)

Thank you First of all for your quick response.

What you have told is correct but if we are taking both the backups in the same folder will it wont effect the drivespace of that drive.As each and every time the files gets appended and it may cause to loose the space fastly.

Beacuse i have noticed that if we take in same folders it keep taking much space and the drive used to run out of space.So I am just trying to findout any uses if we take those backups in separate folders.

Can you help me out!!

Space is one reason to put backups to different drives (and folders this way :)) Interesting that you say that "you append" files. How many old backups do you keep, and do you reuse backup files (i.e. do you create a new backup file for every single backup, or you put multiple backups into the same physical file? If it is the latter, how do you clean up old backups?

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• Actually we are taking both types of backups into the same folder and the backups are maintained in the same physical file.Means both the full and differential are maintained as the same file.

• Any documents Plz

• Look at BOL or search this site for backup recommendations. If you append, the space used will continue to grow until you run a backup "WITH INIT". You can let them create their own files and auto-delete after a specific length of time (2 weeks??) to keep disk space at a premium.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• another reason to have the backup files in another folder may be your "copy to safezone" software.

In the past, some of these used to put a folder-lock when they were copying your backup folders to the safezone (tape,..)

causing sql7 to crash because it supposed a disk failure.

Today, we only put our log backup files in a separate folder, so we can perform folder copies to safezone. Log backups are copied to a different safezone than full or differential backups.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Hi ALZDBA,

can you explain bit more.

• the last step of your backup jobs are performing xcopy dos commands to the appropriate safezone.

Because a logbackup may get started while a full backup job is running, that might cause a bak-file conflict. (because the full db backup is always starting with a log backup and then the full backup)

After the fullbackup has ended, the log.bak files is being moved to the folder of the full backups and then that folder is xcopied to safezone.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply