Why is the Forum so slow

• Is it just me or does it take other users a long time to pull up a topic?

I really like this forum. It is helping me enhance my SQL Server skills instead of relying on SQL Server's similarities with Sybase, the main DB I work with. Hopefully I even have some insight I can share from time-to-time.

Just wonder'n if I'm alone

• You are not alone...it is running slow for me as well. I just discovered this forum last week and have found it to be very helpful so far.

• We'll check. We're in the process of building a replacement server now, but there may be other factors making it slow right now.

Andy

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• It is slow not only now. It is generally slow.

Sorry for complaining, it is a great site anyway.

Edited by - mromm on 01/30/2003 3:06:17 PM

Edited by - mromm on 01/30/2003 3:06:42 PM

• Just to add. I had thought it was my firewall which apparently the cache had been an issue in the morning getting to sites. I noted recently though that I am seeing destination unreachable and server not responding messages in the early morning and later in the evening (peak net usage times). However does seem to be at your end as I can see up to just short of your with a tracert. I will try to catch the occurrance next time and post the tracert results. May be something on your perimeter flaking.

• Could be. Emailed Steve to check. Some days we use a LOT of bandwidth. We'll get back to you.

Andy

• Apologies, apologies. I have the network and infrastructure responsibilities for the site and we are working on it. We ordered a server and I spoke with FedEx this am (Fri, 1-31). Server is on the truck, being delivered today. Should build and test and be in place next weekend sometime.

Just as an FYI, we avg 900+kb/sec usage on our link, so we are pumping out content. Thanks to everyone and we appreciate the patronage as well as patience. This version of the forum is also kind of inefficient, but the upgrades we are looking at are a pain and it's a slow process with just 3 of us.

Hopefully the new server will alleviate some of the load and once that goes, we're looking at upgrading this server to have 2 GHz+ boxes.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

http://www.dkranch.net

• I really like this site and have just lived with it's slowness. I am also active on another site (www.tek-tips.com) and use both to get the answers I need. What I like BEST about this site is the articles and scripts; the other site doesn't have that. I'm also a member of SQL Server Worldwide User's Group and am NOT happy with that site. I have yet to see an answer to any of my questions there.

Basically, when I need an answer there are two sites I post/look at - here and TEK-Tips. If I want to see what's going on in the world of SQL Server - I look here, keep up the great articles. When I'm looking for scripts/script ideas - again I look here.

If the slowness gets fixed - GREAT. If not, this site is important enough to me to live with the slowness.

SQLBill

• We'll get it fixed. We hate slowness as much as anyone else, maybe more, we spend a lot of time here! As Steve mentioned, its often just a matter of finding time. We've had the server ordered for a while, delivery delayed, usual story. We needed the hardware anyway, once it's in place we'll look at the network side of things.

Andy

• Speaking of hardware, what is coming in and how are things going to be expanded? I am just curious.

• You have a terrific site here which will no doubt continue to grow in popularity. I'm certainly enthused to see that you are working on your infrastructure and look forward to being able to scan more of the communications I see v. picking and choosing based on time constraints.

Thanks

• WOW!!! THIS SITE IS SCREAMING FAST NOW.

I don't know if you simply installed the new server or found something else to tweak but I feel no more pain and will be able to peruse more of the topics now.

Thanks!

• Has it gotten faster? I didn't notice it.

Just wondering, is this forum self written? I notice that sql-server-performance.com also has a similar looking forum on asp. I also see a lot of sites out there that have great (and basically the same looking) forums on php. For example windrivers.com, the-magicbox.com/forums.

Are the codes for these forums freely available on the net? Where can I download them? I would love to add forums to my future site when I finally have time to pick up a php book 😉

Thanks!!

• nickel01: Note the "Forums Powered by Snitz" link at the bottom of the forums pages.

• True. This site is slow, but I dont mind waiting for a few seconds to get my queries sorted out.

Just one request to the site owners, could it be possible to put a search facility on the forums, so that articles/discussions wanted can be easily looked for. It would not only help you solve your bandwith problem but also optimally increase the use of your site.

Thankx for maintaining such a good forum.

Paras Shah

Evision Technologies

Mumbai, India

Paras Shah
    Evision Technologies
    Mumbai, India

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply