WHy does the Report manager take an age to open first thing in the morning

• I go to http://machinename/reports or http://localhost/reports

either one works because SSRS is installed locally.

It does appear eventually but takes at least a minute to open first thing in the morning, it seems that after he first connection it speeds up and is much quicker to connect.

What could be causing this?

TIA

• This could be because it takes IIS a while to load the first time?

I use a small app in the morning to get my sharepoint sites going, I presume you could find something similar that would work for any IIS site. Try searching google for IIS warm up

• Thanks Callum

Who'd have thought "IIS Warm up" time - I never knew it existed.

I'll look out for a utility to sort this

thanks again

• Hi there,

The reason is that the application pool in IIS, by default, is set to recycle once a day. So, the first time the SSRS site is called, the IIS starts the application pool, connects to the SQL DB, prepares the environment and then serves you with the page.

You have two ways of solving this. The first is to develop a simple tool to call the SSRS site and schedule it to run a few minutes after the application pool gets recycled. This is the warmup that callum.bundy mentioned.

The second thing is to never recycle the application pool, but I don't recommend doing this because the server can have some performance degradation over time.

For the first option, if you can't find any tool, just create a C# project and call the page. As simple as that. You don't care if the page gets opened or not, you just need to call the IIS so that the application pool starts

Cheers,

Alejandro

Alejandro Pelc

• Thanks, that's great info.

So I can create a small app to call the page and then set that to run in the windows scheduler?

• Yeap,

just make sure you schedule it to run after the app pool recycle time. I've done this for a WSS 3 site, same as callum. In my case, the problem was that the box had only 1 proc and 2 GB of RAM. This is something that happens on every server, but if the box has enough hardware resources, then you won't see any long delay, just one or two seconds. In servers with low resources, you can experience this long delays the first time, and that's why a simple C# tool can help you...

cheers,

Alejandro

Alejandro Pelc

• Sorry just one last question - how do i know when is the app pool recycle time?

• If you look in IIS manager under "Application Pools" you should see one called ReportServer or something like that.

If you go to properties on that, you will see recycle options under performance. You can set this to a timed recycle i.e every 60 minutes, or at certain times, or when a certain amount of memory has been consumed.

Restarting the machine will also have the same effect (will need to be 'warmed')

Callum

• Sorry Callum, I think I'm being a bit slow on the uptake here.

If I go to IIS manager I have my computer (as a node) then "websites" and then the "default web site" and the reportserver is a node under there but I don't think that is what you are talking about is it?

Am i looking in the wrong place?

• Attached is an example from one of my servers.

Each one of those application pools has its own settings for recycling

Callum

• What's the OS version ? are you using a windows server or a windows xp ?

Cheers

Alejandro Pelc

• Win 2003 IIS 6.0

Not sure about XP sorry, I think XP runs IIS 5.0 and I have never used this sorry

• Thanks again

I don't have this. I think you have a more up to date version of IIS (I am running 5.1) I am also running XP Pro so cannot upgrade it to 6

• Hi iain,

If you're running windows XP you can't change the application pool settings on IIS Manager... I think that you'll be able to do that using IIS resource kit and connect to the IIS metabase, but I'm not sure which value you should look at thou...

Because this is on windows XP, I think you should schedule it to run a few minutes after your usual startup, or just have a link on the startup instead of a scheduled task so that it will run every time you login to the PC

Cheers,

Alejandro

Alejandro Pelc

• OK will do

Thanks guys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply