Why Are There So Many Editions?

• "SQL Server Flying Pigs" version - one that does everything you want/need without crashing.

Paul

• Paul (2/24/2009)

"SQL Server Flying Pigs" version - one that does everything you want/need without crashing.

I like than one!

* Noel

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/23/2009)

Produce new SKUs? Why not "unlock" features? You have the technology in the XBOX group to unlock things according to some event.

You mean if you successfully run log backups for a week you open up differential backups? Use database mirroring and unlock the turbo server option?

• matt stockham (2/25/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (2/23/2009)

Produce new SKUs? Why not "unlock" features? You have the technology in the XBOX group to unlock things according to some event.

You mean if you successfully run log backups for a week you open up differential backups? Use database mirroring and unlock the turbo server option?

And if you get to level 80 and win enough query-vs-query battles in the arena, you get to start earning the purple-quality T-SQL commands! Yeah! (Sorry, World of Warcraft reference for anyone who doesn't get this.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (2/25/2009)

matt stockham (2/25/2009)

Steve Jones - Editor (2/23/2009)

And if you get to level 80 and win enough query-vs-query battles in the arena, you get to start earning the purple-quality T-SQL commands! Yeah! (Sorry, World of Warcraft reference for anyone who doesn't get this.)

LOL And if the query wipes blame it on the hunter!

Greg

• Or we could remove features for really bad code! That might encourage employers to hire and train people!

• Be interesting if they decided to charge per feature, a-la-carte style.

SQL base cost 500.00

Backup compression 100.00

Clustering 200.00

etc...

• Mark Horninger (2/26/2009)

Be interesting if they decided to charge per feature, a-la-carte style.

SQL base cost 500.00

Backup compression 100.00

Clustering 200.00

etc...

[cynic mode]

What, you mean like MySQL?

Base product - free

Stability - £40,000

Functionality - switch to MS or Oracle

[/cynic mode]

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• That's why I love you guys. Full of... humor, yeah, humor. That's what that smell is.

😀

I've been trying to convince the XNA team to support SQL CE on the Xbox, but so far it seems like I'm the only one who would want it.

• To be honest, I don't really see any huge and provocative reasons to do other than what they are doing now.

I personally dislike nickel-and-dime ware... where every little addon is an additional cost. to me, 3 to 4 versions of any product is about all I'd want to have to digest, and I'll usually choose either the top or the one just below, such as Windows Ultimate, or Pro, but not Home. But that is more because of my tech tendencies.

I feel it would be more trouble than it is worth to have any more versions of MS SQL Server than they now have, for both end user and MS support.

One exception to this obviously is web hosting... but even then, 3 or 4 levels of support are usually easier on everyone. As a host, we have only 2 at the moment (personal and business) based primarily on static or shared IP. But there are still some addons that we cannot afford to control that must be passed on to the customer that involve licensing out of our control, such as upper levels of Miva Merchant, on-line CC transactions, platform of choice (MS or Open Source), domain name ownership, etc. We bundle as much as we can afford to, but one size certainly does not fit all in the web-hosting scenario.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply