Where's the Printer Friendly Option?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Where's the Printer Friendly Option?

• Edge Browser has an "Immersive Reader" button option available on most web pages that does more or less exactly what you asked.

• I find that occasionally reading a newspaper or book is like CDs or vinyl albums. An immersive experience in my hands. Nothing digital that disappears when a screen times out. Nothing like work. Just simple tactile.

• I really like the "printer friendly" versions so I can "print" articles to PDF for later reference. That way, I can store articles in a directory of my own structure and choosing. Not every site has a "briefcase" option like SSC, but even then, it requires logging onto the site to access such content. When I'm on a flight, for example, that's not a convenient method to get caught up on my reading. While I don't like doing so, I am sometimes forced to cut & paste content into a Word document just to generate the PDF for my own reference.

For some things, such as pleasure reading, I still prefer books. While my library has diminished in size with each cross-state move, I still find myself purchasing physical books. More-so with novels, historical fiction, and the like. I also like books for reference material. Google is great if I need a quick syntax lookup, but I learn more in depth from physical books than online snippets.

• As somebody who spent a good chunk of his adult life in IT supporting the paper industry, I can say that per capita  paper consumption is down dramatically from previous highs.  As the demand has gone down there has been a huge number of smaller facilities which have been shut down which has been amazing to watch given the size and expense of a paper mill and the paper machines inside it (last paper machine we built was 20 years ago with a machine cost of over $500 million).

The only sites I see these days with an easy to find print page are usually either medical, banking, or travel related.  Not sure how much of that is because those are the sites where I'm looking to be able to print something.  I still print and store my banking, medical statements, and payment receipts as I've needed them for disputes in the past.  When traveling I always have paper copies of my reservation pages (airline, hotel, rental car) in case my phone dies.

In an office setting I wonder how much the lack of printing is a natural progression and how much has been a push from Office and other software making the print button harder to get to.  Used to be in just about any UI the print button was always on the toolbar, usually prominent on the left side.  Now MS has buried it a couple menus deep and several clicks away.  My personal office contains a fair amount of printed items, but far less than it used to.  One particular printout I don't see going away before I do is my 4 month rolling calendar printout.  I've never found an electronic way to easily see a quarter or more of big calendar items (vacations, holidays, go lives, system migrations, big DR tests, etc) at one time.

• john.perry 65725 wrote:

Edge Browser has an "Immersive Reader" button option available on most web pages that does more or less exactly what you asked.

Ah, that's cool. Thanks

• jschmidt 17654 wrote:

I find that occasionally reading a newspaper or book is like CDs or vinyl albums. An immersive experience in my hands. Nothing digital that disappears when a screen times out. Nothing like work. Just simple tactile.

I tend to be tactile here:

2024-10_0006

• TL wrote:

As somebody who ...

In an office setting I wonder how much the lack of printing is a natural progression and how much has been a push from Office and other software making the print button harder to get to.  Used to be in just about any UI the print button was always on the toolbar, usually prominent on the left side.  Now MS has buried it a couple menus deep and several clicks away.  My personal office contains a fair amount of printed items, but far less than it used to.  One particular printout I don't see going away before I do is my 4 month rolling calendar printout.  I've never found an electronic way to easily see a quarter or more of big calendar items (vacations, holidays, go lives, system migrations, big DR tests, etc) at one time.

Didn't realize that. I tend to print from browser/excel/word and use CTRL+P, so I never look for the print option.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply