Where are you?

• crookj (10/19/2010)

Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, 7 Falls to name a few...

(Colorado Springs)

Wish I'd known about a few of these places before my trip out to Colorado last month! (Haven't been to Pike's Peak since I was a kid!)

I'll have to keep them in mind for next time (and since I have family out there, there will be a next time) . . .

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Brandie Tarvin (10/19/2010)

John Rowan (10/19/2010)

Let's see...things to do near Omaha.

Besides that, Omaha has an outstanding Zoo.

Henry Doorly (sp) Zoo. Beautiful place.

Fontinelle Forest (for hiking)... Lots of huge parks in the area. One starts with an M and has a large lake for sailing. I can't remember the name. Lake Murray? Has a craft shack and trail rides during the summer.

Pacific Union Railroad museum. The Old Market (warehouse area shopping district). SAC museum (don't know if John mentioned that). Yearly Air Show (very loud). I think Springfield still has a soda fountain somewhere. I know the Pacific Union Museum does, or did the last time I visited.

Ah, I forgot about Fontinelle Forest. There's also Mahoney State Park. Your 'M' lake may be Lake McConaughy which is a few hours away from Omaha. Yes, SAC museum was omited from my list (unintentionally) and the Air Show at Offutt Air Force Base is awesome.

The Railroad museum is the Durham Museum.

John Rowan

======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• Seeing that my first three attraction went over so well :-), I will now add 3 more...

The Royal Gorge, The Air Force Academy, The Olympic Training Center.

Joe

• John Rowan (10/19/2010)

Isn't Durham downtown?

There's one on 10th or 13th... (10th, I think) when you're heading out of downtown and towards Bellevue. It actually has train cars in the basement that kids can play on. I'm pretty sure that's not Durham.

But yes, Mahoney is the park I was thinking about. Lake murray is in Lincoln.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (10/19/2010)

John Rowan (10/19/2010)

Isn't Durham downtown?

There's one on 10th or 13th... (10th, I think) when you're heading out of downtown and towards Bellevue. It actually has train cars in the basement that kids can play on. I'm pretty sure that's not Durham.

But yes, Mahoney is the park I was thinking about. Lake murray is in Lincoln.

Durham is the one on 10th street on the south side of downtown. It is the old train station building. It has the full size train cars in the lower level and other train exhibits.

John Rowan

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• There was a museum downtown in the basement of one of the downtown office buildings, many moons ago. Which one is that?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Ray K (10/19/2010)

Boy, this thread's been too quiet lately. Let's stir the pot a bit.

How about . . . neat things to do or places to see where you are?

Discuss. :discuss:

Some of the things to see or do on LZ:

The volcanic malpaïs in the NE of the island is quite spectacular, and includes two very interesting places to visit:

Los Jameos del Agua - the place itself is (a) beautiful and (b) spectacular, the albino blind crabs are interesting, the Casa de los Volcanes is a good volcano museum, the Canarian folk music is OK if you like that sort of thikng, and the classical music and ballet is really good (although unfortunately infrequent).

La Cueva de los Verdes - another set of volcanic jameos, also very interesting and a fun walk.

In the SW of the island there's the Timonfaya national park - yet more volcano country. The slow and gradual return of life in the Timonfaya area after the last major eruptions there wiped out all life is very interesting. The main tourist centre includes a restaurant where the cooking is done over a crater using only natural volcanic heat and various more or less spectacular demonstrations of the amount of heat near the surface are done, plus a bus tour of some of the park with commentary on the various volcanic features. At the northern edge of the national park there's a good volcano/geology museum.

Both the areas mentioned above make an important contribution to the island's Uneso Biosphere Reserve status (currently under review due to the corrupt shenanigans of local politicians in some parts of the island - several of whom are now in gaol).

The Jardin de Cactus is (as you can tell from the name) a cactus garden - it has about 11000 different varieties of cactus on display.

Throughout the island there are sculptures (including large wind mobiles) by Cesar Manrique, and there is a Cesar Manrique Foundation - plenty of interesting things unless you can't stand Manrique's art (some can't). Also there are many museums (as well as the vulcanology/geology ones these cover island history, colonisation of Cuba and Mexico, modern art, local farming, winemaking, and more). The winemaking areas have many bodegas offering guided tours and wine tasting as wll as providing restaurants (some of which are very good). The scenery is pretty spectacular with volcanic cones and calderas, palm trees, cactus plantations (getting fewer now that the cochineal trade is mostly gone), view across see to other islands, some fantastic beaches, and colourful flowering trees/bushes, and a village which keeps on winning the "prettiest village in Spain" competition. Even where it's not spectacular (as Los Hervideros is when the sea is running) it can be pretty interesting (for example seeing grapes cultivated successfully on a lava field).

In late winter or in spring there's the carnival - which shifts around the island having time in several places rather than being in one fixed location.

Edit: to that list add Guinate - a bird park which also has some animals, so I guess you could call it a sort of zoo, but it also has lots of plants (some cacti, but more others) so I don't know what to call it. Watching the penguins get fed is fun - hot climate penguins, not antarctic ones, of course - and the meercats are good for kids as are the performing parrots.

And of course there are many more interesting places on the "fortunate isle".

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (10/19/2010)

Some of the things to see or do on LZ:

I'm a little brain-dead this morning. LZ?

• Tom.Thomson (10/19/2010)

Ray K (10/19/2010)

Boy, this thread's been too quiet lately. Let's stir the pot a bit.

How about . . . neat things to do or places to see where you are?

Discuss. :discuss:

...Some of the things to see or do on LZ:

Good Lord Tom, I'd always crossed Lanzarote right off my potential places to visit list because of the British tourism. Your account paints it in a completely new light. Off-peak, sure, but it still sounds like a fine place to stay.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris-439714 (10/20/2010)

Good Lord Tom, I'd always crossed Lanzarote right off my potential places to visit list because of the British tourism. Your account paints it in a completely new light. Off-peak, sure, but it still sounds like a fine place to stay.

I so want to see the restaurant where they cook off of volcano heat. I'm doing a bit like that in my novel and need to see how this works IRL.

• The more responses in this thread I read, the more I want to plan my vacation!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Chris Morris-439714 (10/20/2010)

Well of course I think it's a fine place, that's why I chose to live mostly here! There are areas to be avoided because they are thoroughly taken over by expats or by tourists, but it is easy to avoid them.

The island is still mostly Spanish, but of course tourism is the main industry; so there are areas where there are a lot of British, Irish, German and Scandinavian people (mostly tourists, but also many expats - also many Indian and Chinese and Moroccan expats), but also areas where noone speaks English (or German or Norwegian) at all. I usually have to deal with my bank in Spanish (occassionally they have someone with good English, but not always), same with the 'phone company, and generally shopping for things like furniture, TV, light bulbs, drill bits, paint, wood preservative - in fact for anything except small electronics gadgets, tourist tat, and hire cars - has to be done in Spanish. Waiters in restaurants and bars in the main tourist areas can usually handle either English or German as well as Spanish (in some Irish bars they can't handle Spanish) but in other restaurants and bars you may not even find an English version of the menu, and the waiters may not speak any English at all.

Tom

• Brandie Tarvin (10/20/2010)

I so want to see the restaurant where they cook off of volcano heat. I'm doing a bit like that in my novel and need to see how this works IRL.

There are picyures somewhere on the web (or there were a short time ago - I tried to find them just now and failed). You may be luckier than me and find them.

Tom

• I live in Stavanger, Norway and if you like hiking there are a couple of places to visit.

A short hike, 1.5 hours walking after an hour of driving, to the Pulpit Rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preikestolen

Or a bit longer hike to Kjerag, 3 hours walk after two hours of driving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kjerag

Some more pictures here http://fiveprime.org/hivemind/Tags/fjord,kjeragbolten

• **shudder!**

Looks beautiful!

Too bad I'm acrophobic! :sick:

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 490 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply