When Would You Use the SERIALIZABLE Transaction Isolation Level

• David Moutray (12/29/2011)

Well, I'd also have to simulate a production load on the QA and DEV systems. I'd have to get the head of IT do ... well, several things. Sigh. Why does everything require cooperation! :crazy:

All I want to do is impose my will on AppDev. Is that so much to ask?

It is if they've never had a serious DBA in house and they're used to cowboy code repairs. It sounds like your devs approach databases as datastores instead of dataengines. You will need to con, cojole, compare, and condition your devs into why your alternatives will work better in the long term. They are not database people, we are. They are writing a ton of code for the database, sure, but they're not the experts.

So, how come you're not involved in code reviews (with refusal/edit authority) before deployment? Because it 'slows down the workflow'. You're looking at altering a mindset, not just doing your job. It's not an uncommon scenario.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• David Moutray (12/29/2011)

As always, you are ever the voice of reason, Gail.

I try. Bear in mind that I am a developer, so I come at this from a different perspective. Escalate and you'll just make matters worse

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply