What SQL activities would result in LDF reads?

• I am supporting a heavy read relatively low write SQL connected Enterprise application. Recently, we ran into some slowness. Of the many, I captured file stats (dm_io_virtual_file_stats) end of every day on a 24 hour cycle to understand file usage. I see that the LDF has 190K reads with 19G data read. What's perplexing is what would force such a heavy read from the LDF? I can think of log shipping but not configured

any other input is much appreciated..

• Initial recovery of the database through roll forward/rollback operations would be one thing.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Thanks for the response Jon, yep missed that ... the interesting part is our devs are cowboys dont have any transaction scoping in our code ... definitely a curve ball.

• Log backups, full backups, differential backups, transaction rollbacks. Restart recovery. Maybe checkpoint.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I asked Paul Randal your question because I know there are potentially other things that would do it, but I don't know for sure what exactly those might be beyond Log Backups, if you have them running, and initial recovery.

• GilaMonster (12/9/2009)

Log backups, full backups, differential backups, transaction rollbacks. Restart recovery. Probably checkpoint.

Interesting that you mention checkpoint here. I considered that but couldn't remember enough about it to know if it would need the log to write dirty buffers or not. I wish I understood those mechanisms better.

• @Gail: I considered log backup but the monkey wrench is that we have 1 nightly full back up and hourly txn file backup. My DMV would have reported low # of reads; 190K seems a lot for this type of activity. Checkpoint ... not so sure, its just a dirty page push ...

@Jon: thanks for forwarding it along ...

• Jonathan Kehayias (12/9/2009)

GilaMonster (12/9/2009)

Log backups, full backups, differential backups, transaction rollbacks. Restart recovery. Probably checkpoint.

Interesting that you mention checkpoint here. I considered that but couldn't remember enough about it to know if it would need the log to write dirty buffers or not. I wish I understood those mechanisms better.

I'm not sure if it does. Might do, might not. Should probably have said "Maybe Checkpoint"

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Here's the list off the top of my head of what will cause log reads:

1) transaction rollback (whether you explicitly start a transaction or do single-statement implicit transactions)

2) crash recovery

3) transaction log backup

4) any kind of data backup (full/differential database/filegroup/file)

5) transactional replication log reader agent

6) change data capture (2008)

7) database mirroring, when there's a SEND queue

8) restoring a log backup using WITH STANDBY

9) DBCC LOG or fn_dblog 🙂

10) a checkpoint, when in the SIMPLE recovery model only, when it checks to see if active VLFs can be marked inactive

Hope this helps.

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• G33kKahuna (12/9/2009)

@Gail: I considered log backup but the monkey wrench is that we have 1 nightly full back up and hourly txn file backup. My DMV would have reported low # of reads; 190K seems a lot for this type of activity.

How big is the log? Log backup has to read the active portion of the log. That's 24 times in a day. Add that to all the other operations I can see those read numbers getting reached.

Gail Shaw

• Thanks Paul. I am confused about #1; doesn't it need an explicit rollback statement to be executed?

@Gail: The log size is about 5G on disk. I apologize, should have given the numbers. The reported number are as below

-------------------------------------------------------

|# of reads | MBs Read | # of writes | MBs Written |

| 356,786 | 33,095.23 | 347,893 | 9,365.66 | Data file

| 190,691 | 19,002.90 | 703059 | 12,520.35 | Log File

• Not necessarily - if something goes wrong the transaction will rollback automatically

Paul Randal
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Thanks Paul; interesting ... is there a way to calibrate the # of rollbacks?

• I don't understand your question - rollbacks only occur when something goes wrong or you explicitly rollback a transaction - how could you calibrate them?

Paul Randal

• I can get the number of explicit rollbacks issued and the #bytes affected/ explicit rollback from sql traces. Is there a way to capture and account for implict rollbacks? same SQL trace approach?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply