What is XE_SERVICES_RWLOCK and why am I seeing it so much?

• So I've got a new Windows 2016 / SQL 2014 SP3 server that's giving me trouble.  When the issue occurs, the response from the server is extremely slow, up to and including login timeouts when trying to connect to it with SSMS from a workstation.

When the problems occur, applications that use the various databases on the server begin throwing timeout errors waiting on their queries.

MaxDOP is set to 4 (matching the CPU/Core count,) Cost Threshold is set to 100 (matching the server being replaced, which is Windows 2012 R2 / SQL 2014 SP3,) Max Memory for SQL is set to 48GB (server has 64GB.)

I've not been able to find anything to help me understand what the XE_SERVICES_RWLOCK wait type is, or if it's something I should be concerned with or if it might be pointing to an underlying issue.  When this problem occurs, virtually every query, regardless of what database it's touching, shows this wait type.

• I found plenty about it and what it is...

https://www.google.com/search?q=XE_SERVICES_RWLOCK

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Jeff, but unfortunately those are the same results I get when I Google it.  I'll grant it might be a red herring I'm chasing with it, it's just the most obvious thing when I'm having a problem.

• Ah, sorry, Jason.  I should have known better just because it's you.  And I saw the post from SQLSkills right at the top and made the sorry mistake of assuming that it would be more useful than it turned out to be.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Not a problem Jeff, it's been a LONG time since I last posted (migration to our "cloud" provider is KILLING me!)

But yeah, I had high hopes for the SQLSkills result too...

• Ok... now I'm curious, Jason... Which "cloud" provider are you having to move to?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• DISA MilCloud...

Frankly, I'd rather have gone to "Joe's stack-o-cheap servers," it'd probably have been a lot easier / smoother...

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply