What I am going wrong with TRY/CATCH block

• Hello everybody,

I have a two tables. A want to INSERT data from table1 to table2. But table1 has one column less than table2. It's clear that INSERT will not work. I receive error message, but I need to CATCH this error message and store it somewhere to LogTable.

Here is my code:

BEGIN TRY

INSERT INTO table2 SELECT * FROM table1

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

print 'There was an error: ' + ERROR_MESSAGE()

END CATCH

Query result:

Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition.

But why there is no 'There was an error: '. CATCH block was not reached ? Why ?

Thanks for any advice.

• Because that code is never executed. That error is found and thrown at compile time (not sure if this is the exact term).

• Yes, I thought that, but how to insert this error to some log table ? How I catch this error ?

• try catch from the calling application would be my only guess. I never had to do deal with this.

• Thanks for advice. But there is no another application over it. It's pure SQL script.

• raztos (7/22/2011)

Thanks for advice. But there is no another application over it. It's pure SQL script.

I'm guessing dba generated audit triggers?

If not, what are you trying to do? I can't think of any other good reason to have that code voluntarily fail in production (because you'd want to know right away that you seriously messed up the latest ddl changes instead of months later down the lane where a new critical column is not getting tracked in the history).

• I try to import xls file to tempTable(table2) and sometime users who export xls file delete one column. And column counts in tempTable(table2) are different than in table1(which is destination table).

That's why I need to have logged messages.

• I'd do a select into from excel to temp table. Then validate that the columns match in qty, size and data types. Then I'd import to the real table if there are no errors.

Maybe SSIS as something built in to do this, but I don't know that tool at all.

• To avoid a compile time error, you'd have to execute it dynamically E.g.:

BEGIN TRY

DECLARE @sql VARCHAR (8000)

SET @sql='INSERT INTO table2 SELECT * FROM table1'

EXEC(@sql)

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

END CATCH

• HowardW (7/22/2011)

To avoid a compile time error, you'd have to execute it dynamically E.g.:

BEGIN TRY

DECLARE @sql VARCHAR (8000)

SET @sql='INSERT INTO table2 SELECT * FROM table1'

EXEC(@sql)

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

END CATCH

Ya but you still have to return a meaningful error to the end user. I always hated the general oledb error we get in access instead of something useful.

• Ninja's_RGR'us, HowardW thank you both very much.

Ninja's_RGR'us: I don't like using SSIS. I am exhausted of clicking : )

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply