What happens to the Databases when SQL Server group is taken offline in Cluster

• I am wondering what would happen to all the databases and connections when the SQL server group is taken offline in a Cluster.

Will it issue Checkpoint to all the databases? or it is like SHUTdown with nowait?

• When you take a resource offline in cluster administrator - it is the same as stopping the service. It is a service shutdown - and yes, the system will perform an immediate shutdown of SQL Server.

All databases will be offline - all connections to SQL Server will be terminated and the service will not fail over to the other cluster node.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• And also I think it wouldn't be a clean shut down of SQL server as in WITH NO WAIT but I am not so sure though.

• Krishna Potlakayala (4/14/2009)

And also I think it wouldn't be a clean shut down of SQL server as in WITH NO WAIT but I am not so sure though.

It is a clean shutdown of SQL Server - the same way you would have a 'clean' shutdown if you went to the service and stopped the service. SQL Server will recover just fine from this kind of shutdown.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Alright great, Thanks Jefferey. One more doubt cleared 🙂

• Thanks! Jeff. That is good to know. Save me a lot of worries. 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply