What Do You Drop?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item What Do You Drop?

• Great job on the Triathlon!!!  Been doing them for over 25 years (various distances).  Key Largo, FL is this weekend (8-18-24).

A very crucial point and sometimes a lacking in management to understand that you can't keep adding things onto the task lists of your employees without removing some things.  If certain tasks cannot be dropped, then it is management's responsibility to add to the staff as needed.  That being said, it is the employees' responsibility to keep management aware of their workload and to say "no" to additional workloads that require more time than what they are being paid for.  There are tactful ways of letting one's boss know of heavy, unrealistic workloads.  Clear communication of the facts (shelve the feelings) will get you a long way.

As your article alludes to, this balance applies to our lives outside of our work as well.  We all get the same 24 hours a day.  How you spend / waste it is fully up to each individual.  Not every decision we make have the results we want and sometimes there are consequences to those decisions.  Learn from the mistakes and continue to be the best steward of the time allotted.

Jon

• In your 20s, cycle to play squash
    • In your 30s, cycle or play squash
    • In your 40s, cycle
    • In your 50s, occasionally cycle, watch squash on the TV
    • In your 60s.  Offer up prayer of thanks for eBikes.

When I was in my 20s an older colleague told me that, in his heart and mind he was still a young man.  One of the things that hurt most (apart from knees, hips, back, neck etc) was going to do something physical and realising that he no-longer could.  The spirit is still willing.....

I find the reality is that for both work and pleasure, I can't burn the candle at both ends any more and I need more rest and recovery time too.  I've not yet reached the point where I'm comfortable with that but I'm learning to be kinder to myself.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Time is THE most valuable resource.

When my third child came along, I gave up watching whole football games.  I would check in in the second half, and if close, would watch, otherwise off again.  I had to exercise as I was in the Army Reserve, so that couldn't give.  I also chose not to watch the new Star Trek series (Enterprise).

I still had to make time to learn for work, sometimes reading while waiting for the children to fall asleep.  I would also wake up early on Saturdays and work for a few hours while the family slept.

The children are grown and gone.  I wouldn't remember any of the football games that I didn't watch if I had watched them.  I remember the time I spent with my children.

• Time is THE most valuable resource.

When my third child came along, I gave up watching whole football games.  I would check in in the second half, and if close, would watch, otherwise off again.  I had to exercise as I was in the Army Reserve, so that couldn't give.  I also chose not to watch the new Star Trek series (Enterprise).

I still had to make time to learn for work, sometimes reading while waiting for the children to fall asleep.  I would also wake up early on Saturdays and work for a few hours while the family slept.

The children are grown and gone.  I wouldn't remember any of the football games that I didn't watch if I had watched them.  I remember the time I spent with my children.

• RonKyle wrote:

Time is THE most valuable resource.

When my third child came along, I gave up watching whole football games...

It's funny, similar to me. Stopped watching many sports when they were young. As my kids grew up, I watched a bit, but life got busy. Now, we've gotten rid of most cable/satellite/broadcast stuff, so I just don't see many sports. I subscribe to the NFL, and often watch  minutes of games as I get a break in life. Someone driving me (or I'm traveling), I listen to some games as I'm doing chores. I catch up some nights if my wife falls asleep or while I'm cooking. Usually on my phone or tablet, which works.

I rarely see a baseball or basketball game, mostly because I've chosen to spend time on other things. Part of my coaching was I dropped some of the other leisure fun things I was doing to fill time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply