What are you worth?

• GilaMonster (5/24/2014)

My view there is that having money but no time to spend it is not a situation I like being in.

I agree with that. Having time but no money to spend is another situation I don't like being in, so it can be hard to get the balance right.

Tom

• TomThomson - Sunday, May 25, 2014 5:09 AM

GilaMonster (5/24/2014)

My view there is that having money but no time to spend it is not a situation I like being in.

I agree with that. Having time but no money to spend is another situation I don't like being in, so it can be hard to get the balance right.

I've never heard that to be feasible either, but then I get bank holidays plus 29 so wouldn't be bothered about more.

• You are aware that it is usually illegal for a company in the US to prevent you from discussing wages and salaries? The NLRB 29 U.S. Code ยง 157 and subsequent rulings make that clear. If a company has a policy in place that prevents you from discussing salaries, they are most likely breaking the law.

• norway.martin - Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:35 AM

You are aware that it is usually illegal for a company in the US to prevent you from discussing wages and salaries? The NLRB 29 U.S. Code § 157 and subsequent rulings make that clear. If a company has a policy in place that prevents you from discussing salaries, they are most likely breaking the law.

Heh... but it doesn't break my personal law.  If a company tells someone how much I make, there will be hell to pay because I consider that to very much be personal information that no one else should know except the people that need to know to allow me to get paid.  I respect  that type of thing for all others, as well.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:12 PM

norway.martin - Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:35 AM

You are aware that it is usually illegal for a company in the US to prevent you from discussing wages and salaries? The NLRB 29 U.S. Code § 157 and subsequent rulings make that clear. If a company has a policy in place that prevents you from discussing salaries, they are most likely breaking the law.

Heh... but it doesn't break my personal law.  If a company tells someone how much I make, there will be hell to pay because I consider that to very much be personal information that no one else should know except the people that need to know to allow me to get paid.  I respect  that type of thing for all others, as well.

The company can't tell others how much you make. That's against the law. What I meant is that the company cannot prevent YOU from telling others in the company how much you make. So the company cannot have a policy that says an employer cannot share their salary with a colleague so they can create leverage for negotiations.

• norway.martin - Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:16 PM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, November 7, 2017 12:12 PM

norway.martin - Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:35 AM

The company can't tell others how much you make. That's against the law. What I meant is that the company cannot prevent YOU from telling others in the company how much you make. So the company cannot have a policy that says an employer cannot share their salary with a colleague so they can create leverage for negotiations.

Ah... got it.  Thanks for the clarification.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Well I work for a local government agency.  So our salary is public and set by our HR department depending on our job classification.  Since we are part of a union, we do get cost of living increases from time to time.  But otherwise we are pretty much stuck with our salary unless we can find a position that pays more.

• kevlray - Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:20 AM

Well I work for a local government agency.  So our salary is public and set by our HR department depending on our job classification.  Since we are part of a union, we do get cost of living increases from time to time.  But otherwise we are pretty much stuck with our salary unless we can find a position that pays more.

That's slightly different for public agencies since yes you are on a graded pay scale and everyone gets the same pay at that grade.  In private industry where you can have two people with the same job title doing the same job at two drastically different salaries it's generally considered polite to just not talk about it regardless of whether it's legal or not since it will usually result in nothing more than unnecessary resentment.

• call.copse - Monday, May 19, 2014 3:28 AM

Personally, whilst I may be a grumpy old sod, I do favour making friends with my fellow employees and getting to know people's salaries after a drink or two. Yes, it goes against terms, and I think an 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' is the only approach. This means obviously trying to avoid such discussions with the type of person who will blab about the discussion. However such data is generally helpful when negotiating - and I would never say 'Oh, X gets Y so I should get Z' - simply to understand where you are standing and whether it seems reasonable with respect to your relative contribution.

It's funny when someone is obviously trying to tease personal information while sharing drinks. The thing is, I'm still sober even after a handful of drinks, but I can pretend to be drunk. What if your coworker is tactfully giving you a low ball number so as not to hurt your feelings or reduce the competition? ๐Ÿ˜‰

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Wednesday, November 8, 2017 11:18 AM

call.copse - Monday, May 19, 2014 3:28 AM

Personally, whilst I may be a grumpy old sod, I do favour making friends with my fellow employees and getting to know people's salaries after a drink or two. Yes, it goes against terms, and I think an 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' is the only approach. This means obviously trying to avoid such discussions with the type of person who will blab about the discussion. However such data is generally helpful when negotiating - and I would never say 'Oh, X gets Y so I should get Z' - simply to understand where you are standing and whether it seems reasonable with respect to your relative contribution.

It's funny when someone is obviously trying to tease personal information while sharing drinks. The thing is, I'm still sober even after a handful of drinks, but I can pretend to be drunk. What if your coworker is tactfully giving you a low ball number so as not to hurt your feelings or reduce the competition? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ha, good point, although I have had such information confirmed by reviewing them for other purposes, but not everyone is in that position I guess. You probably want to be able to gauge who's a straight up type and who seems devious - think I'm better at that than I look, having a gormless face ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply