What are the Limitations of having SQL server as a DR server for Oracle 10g database

• Hi All,

I am working on below proposal --

Proposal

Real-time replication is required between the production Oracle 10g database and the proposed DR target database which can be either Oracle or SQL.

For the above requirement Oracle might be a better option but as i am a SQL DBA i have to give some inputs from SQL side.

Atleast i have to mention what are the limitation if we can go with Oracle and SQL Transactional Replication.

One thing i know is in SQL to SQL transactional replication only primary key object can be replicated.

Like this i have to document the limitations regarding Oracle-to-SQL server Replication.

Is it possible replicate entire DB from Oracle to SQL using Tran Replication (including non primary key tables)?

I need your valuable inputs.

Thanks in advance.

• I'd replicate from Oracle to Oracle.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Oracle to SQL replication for disaster recovery?

There is just so much wrong with that idea that I don’t know where to start. The simple answer is that you would be taking a disaster and turning it into a catastrophe.

How would the applications work? How would you migrate back to Oracle? How would the applications even connect?

• GSquared (4/15/2010)

I'd replicate from Oracle to Oracle.

I agree.

If your Oracle db is using stored procedures, then you're probably going to have a big issue with this - unless they are written in 100% pure ANSI SQL, and both Oracle and MS are at the same ANSI implementation level, with the key words all being the same.

Michael Valentine Jones (4/15/2010)

There is just so much wrong with that idea that I don’t know where to start. The simple answer is that you would be taking a disaster and turning it into a catastrophe.

Yes, I think this is a 100% accurate statement.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• This isn't April the 1st again:-)

• Keep it in Oracle if it is for DR.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply