Views across multiple databases

• I have a question that perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. I have created an application that is vb front end and sql-server back end. I have decided to create a database that works in conjunction with our CRM db rather than simply place all the tables, views, sprocs, etc. into the CRM db. However, in order to use the data in both db's together, I've created views that bridge the two db's, and they are time costly. Just looking for suggestions (other than importing temp tables into my new db from the CRM db)

• Are you sure these are well tuned queries?

Check that first.

I think they will be costly because I am not sure the parser will efficiently match these up. One thing I have done in the past is retrieve both results on the client and match them up theere. May not be that fast either.

You could try setting up a paritioned view on both databases and see if that is faster.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Costly to make, or slow to run? Normally a view is a good solution. Rather than importing if you decided not to use the view I'd consider transactional replication. Running on the same server the latency will be very low and the overhead is not a lot.

Andy

• I have resolved my issue. My foundation view was the problem. It was actually a view that was joining other views...Though the other views were not in fact in combination generating a table join list of more than 24 tables, they were inefficient in nature. I generated the my foundation view upon the appropriate base tables and the performance jumped 700%.

• Thanks for the followup

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply