VB6 - How to Capture result set from Stored Procedure

• Hi

I have a stored procedure (usp_Test) that accepts one parameter (@UserID) and returns a one column, one row result set.  The proc executes successfully in QA, with the expected result displaying.

I have been unable to figure out how to call the proc from VB6.  I have been able to either get a result set out, or pass parameters in - not both at the same time.

My VB Code:

Dim ACommand As New ADODB.Command

Dim Aprm As New ADODB.Parameter

Dim objRecordset As ADODB.Recordset

Set ACommand = New ADODB.Command

ACommand.ActiveConnection = WScnn

ACommand.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

ACommand.CommandText = "usp_Test"

Set Aprm = ACommand.CreateParameter("@UserInitials", adVarChar, adParamInput, 10, UserInitials)

ACommand.Parameters.Append Aprm

Set objRecordset = New ADODB.Recordset

objRecordset.CursorLocation = adUseServer 'i've tried adUseClient here too

objRecordset.CursorType = adOpenForwardOnly

objRecordset.Open ACommand ' Open the Recordset

Debug.Print objRecordset.RecordCount '<--- gets an error here; The error says "This operation is not allowed when the object is closed."  i also cannot reference .fields(0) etc.  Do I need to define an output param inside the proc?  If so, what should it look like?

I know that the proc runs, as it performs an insert, and I can see the new row as expected.

I'm tearing my hair out, and I'm running out fast...

Thanks

Antony

• Here's some sample code... I can make a new simpler one if you don't understand this one :

sql code :

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[SearchDependencies] @Search as varchar(256), @PkDB as int, @SaveSearch as bit = 0, @FkSearch_Results as int = null, @FkSearch as int = null output

AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

Declare @Results table (PkDependanceADP_SQL int primary key, ADPName varchar(100) not null, ObjName varchar(100) not null,

DescTypeObj varchar(50) not null, ParentName varchar(128) not null, ParentXTypeName varchar(50) not null, ParentXType varchar(3) not null)

set @FkSearch = (Select PkRechercheCode from dbo.RecherchesCode where Recherche = @Search and FkDB = @PkDB)

--checks if the data has been updated since the search was performed and returns 1 if the search is still valid

set @FkSearch = nullif(dbo.fnSearchIsStillValid (@FkSearch), 0)

set @FkSearch_Results = nullif(dbo.fnSearchIsStillValid (@FkSearch_Results), 0)

--this sets @FkSearch to null if both searchs are the same, which simply redisplays the recorded results since no further filtering will be performed anyways.

set @FkSearch = nullif(@FkSearch, @FkSearch_Results)

if @FkSearch is null and @FkSearch_Results is null

begin

--the search is not recorded and this is not a sub search

if @SaveSearch = 1

begin

Insert into @Results (PkDependanceADP_SQL, ADPName, ObjName, DescTypeObj, ParentName, ParentXTypeName, ParentXType)

Select PkDependanceADP_SQL, ADPName, ObjName, DescTypeObj, ParentName, ParentXTypeName, ParentXType

from dbo.fnSearchDependencies_NewSearch (@Search, @PkDB)

end

else

begin

Select PkDependanceADP_SQL, ADPName, ObjName, DescTypeObj, ParentName, ParentXTypeName, ParentXType

from dbo.fnSearchDependencies_NewSearch (@Search, @PkDB)

end

end

else if @FkSearch is not null and @FkSearch_Results is null

begin

--using the recorded results to send the results without refiltering the previous results

if @SaveSearch = 1

begin

Insert into @Results (PkDependanceADP_SQL, ADPName, ObjName, DescTypeObj, ParentName, ParentXTypeName, ParentXType)

from dbo.fnSearchDependencies_ResendResults(@FkSearch_Results)

end

else

begin

from dbo.fnSearchDependencies_ResendResults(@FkSearch_Results)

end

end

else if @FkSearch is null and @FkSearch_Results is not null

begin

--the search is not recorded, filtering the results of another search with a new search

if @SaveSearch = 1

begin

from dbo.fnSearchDependencies_FilterOldSearch(@Search, @PkDB, @FkSearch_Results)

end

else

begin

from dbo.fnSearchDependencies_FilterOldSearch(@Search, @PkDB, @FkSearch_Results)

end

end

else if @FkSearch is not null and @FkSearch_Results is not null

begin

--filtering the results of a search with the results of another search

if @SaveSearch = 1

begin

from dbo.fnSearchDependencies_MergeSearchs (@FkSearch, @FkSearch_Results)

end

else

begin

from dbo.fnSearchDependencies_MergeSearchs (@FkSearch, @FkSearch_Results)

end

end

if @SaveSearch = 1

begin

--save the search

if @FkSearch is null

begin

--create a new search and retrieve the id

exec @FkSearch = dbo.AjouterRechercheCode @PkDB, @Search

end

--save the results in the RRCDependances Table

Insert into dbo.RRCDependances (FkRechercheCode, FkDependanceADP_SQL) (Select @FkSearch as FkRechercheCode, PkDependanceADP_SQL from @Results)

--show the results

--this must be reordered because the primary key changes the order from the view because the PK is PkDependanceADP_SQL instead of the 3 varchar fields.

Select PkDependanceADP_SQL, ADPName, ObjName, DescTypeObj, ParentName, ParentXTypeName, ParentXType from @Results

Order by ADPName, DescTypeObj, ObjName

end

SET NOCOUNT OFF

GO

vb code :

Private Function exec_SearchDependencies(ByVal Search As String, ByVal PkDB As Integer, ByVal SaveSearch As Boolean, ByVal FkSearch_Results As Integer, ByRef FkSearch As Integer, Optional ByRef ReturnValue As Integer) As ADODB.Recordset

On Error GoTo Gestion

Dim MyCmd As ADODB.Command

Set MyCmd = New ADODB.Command

MyCmd.CommandText = "dbo.SearchDependencies"

MyCmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

Dim MyParam As ADODB.Parameter

Set MyParam = New ADODB.Parameter

MyParam.Direction = adParamReturnValue

MyParam.Name = "@Return"

MyParam.Type = adInteger

MyCmd.Parameters.Append MyParam

MyParam.Name = "@Search"

MyParam.Value = Search

MyParam.Size = 256

MyParam.Direction = adParamInput

MyParam.Type = adVarChar

MyParam.Name = "@PkDB"

MyParam.Value = PkDB

MyParam.Size = 4

MyParam.Type = adInteger

MyParam.Name = "@SaveSearch"

MyParam.Value = SaveSearch

MyParam.Size = 1

MyParam.Type = adBoolean

MyParam.Name = "@FkSearch_Results"

MyParam.Value = FkSearch_Results

MyParam.Size = 4

MyParam.Type = adInteger

MyParam.Name = "@FkSearch"

MyParam.Value = FkSearch

MyParam.Size = 4

MyParam.Direction = adParamInputOutput

MyParam.Type = adInteger

Dim MyRs As ADODB.Recordset

Set MyRs = New ADODB.Recordset

MyRs.CursorLocation = adUseClient

MyCn.Open

MyCmd.ActiveConnection = MyCn

MyRs.Open MyCmd, , adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

If MyRs.State = 1 Then

Set exec_SearchDependencies = MyRs.Clone

exec_SearchDependencies.ActiveConnection = Nothing

Else

Set exec_SearchDependencies = Nothing

End If

MyCn.Close

ReturnValue = CInt(MyCmd.Parameters("@Return").Value)

FkSearch = MyCmd.Parameters("@FkSearch").Value

DisposeRS MyRs

Set MyParam = Nothing

Set MyCmd = Nothing

Exit Function

Gestion:

ErrHandler ModuleName, Me.Name, "exec_SearchDependencies", Err

MsgBox Err.Description & " : " & Err.Number

End Function

• Thanks heaps.

That's exactly what I've been looking for.

• HTH.

• Maybe I'm missing something here, but shouldn't it be a lot easier than this?  If the SP truly has one parameter and returns a single row with a single column, couldn't you just do:

Dim rs as New ADODB.Recordset

Dim sql as String

sql = "EXEC usp_Test @user-id=" & valueForParam

rs.Open sql, WScnn, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

valOfParam = rs("SingleFieldName")

rs.Close

Of course you could add some code for checking rs.EOF in case the open doesn't yield a recordset (if the record matching the provided UserID isn't found) but that should add just a couple extra lines at the most.  Seemed to me that the other solutions are overcomplicated, but again I could be missing something...

• The point you're missing is that I have a code generator .

Anyways your version uses dynamic sql which is subject to injection attacks. The command objects cannot fall for such attacks and is also faster to run.

• Whoa, bad idea. You're opening yourself up for a SQL injection attact with that code.

• OK, how about this...

Dim cmd as New ADODB.Command

Dim rs as ADODB.Recordset

With cmd

.ActiveConnection = WScnn

.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

.CommandText = "usp_Test"

.Parameters("@UserID") = valueForParam

Set rs = .Execute

End With

valOfParam = rs("SingleFieldName")

FWIW, I'm not sure my "dynamic" SQL is subject to injection attacks since I'm calling a SP.  As long as the SP doesn't in turn use dynamic SQL, everything should be OK.  The dynamic SQL of calling SELECTs, UPDATEs, etc from inside your code is what's most vulnerable as far as I know...

• Think about it, you're concatenating text >>

me.txtbox = '5; DROP TABLE X--'

MyVar = "Exec dbo.MySP " & me.txtbox

And boom, you're screwed (maybe that one doesn't work but I've seen it done).

• WRT your original example, what if I set the value of valueForParam to the following?

NULL; DROP PROCEDURE usp_Test;

?

Naturally, that assumes I have priviliges to do a DROP PROCEDURE, but it illustrates the problem, I think. Problem is not the stored proc, it's the fact that you're building a dynamic SQL statement to execute it.

• OK, I'm goign to stop double-teaming now.

• No that's fine... the points get across better that way .

• OK, I definitely follow.  I guess I just got wrapped around the fact that my apps rarely use user-entered data for queries like this.  When I do INSERTs, UPDATEs, DELETEs, etc that take in a lot of user-entered data, I always use Command objects.  My "quick and dirty" recordset reads like I listed typically get their parameters from internal controls such as a button clicks, other RS's, etc.  I just scanned a bunch of my apps and tried the injection attack like you listed and nothing happened.  But I definitely see your point.  Oh well, the way ADO.NET and VB.NET work pretty much takes care of this.  My "quick and dirty" method is OBE...  Thanks for the reminder to always be careful with designing your code...

• HTH. Don't forget that it's also faster to call RPC than sql batch (for a single operation).

• I use ADO in VBA quite a lot to execute and return OUTPUT values.  From your original post it appears you need to execute the adodb.command.  You DO NOT need a recordset, merely assign the parameter value to a VB variable.

Dim strParamReturnValue As String

ACommand.Parameters.Append Aprm

ACommand.Execute

strParamReturnValue = APrm.Value

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply