VB.Net or C#.Net

• Stephanie Giovannini (7/1/2008)

This article was the piece de resistance in my push for C#:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/CSharpVersusVB.aspx

I have to disagree with you, not at your conclusion, or your personal choice, but at your choice of using that claptrap as your "piece de resistance". Inflammatory statements based on not a single shred of proof, cheap shots at an entire community without taking that same critical eye to "your own side" do not make for a good basis for anything.

Say you prefer the syntax, the mind set, the semi-colons, ANYTHING - that's cool. But that flame of an article really ought to stay buried in the garbage bin where it belongs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Amen to that, Brother.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Hi

It depends on your background if you are from Java then you can learn C# otherwise VB is good.

Thansk -- VJ

http://dotnetvj.blogspot.com

• Hi,

Doesn't matter which language choose for programming , but need to know what level coding doing for commercial aspect. The Knowledge will direct you the real taste of coding language.

Gupta

• forget VB and C# and master the only language worth mastering: Malbolge.

🙂

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• Matt Miller (7/1/2008)

But that flame of an article really ought to stay buried in the garbage bin where it belongs.

Yes, I can see your point. Totally subjective, no proof--I agree. However, I mentioned it because it was, in fact, the argument that convinced my manager to let me keep working in C#. If that says something about my manager's judgement... 😀

And why MUST I work in C#? Maybe it's because C# and VB share .NET and Visual Studio. I have no trouble switching from C# to Transact-SQL, and it has declarations that are data-type-last. But I also switch from Visual Studio to Management Studio and I have a totally different set of functionality and purpose in mind. When I attempt to write VB.NET, I end up writing: String theData = "value"; and similar statements, over and over and over. The same data types, same library, same IDE, same purpose, wildly different syntax. It drives me insane.

Maybe that's why these arguments devolve into holy wars... or it could be people like me who just like to stir the pot... 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply