VB.Net or C#.Net

• I would like to attend a course in programming in .Net, 2 are offered. Vb.Net and C#.Net. The course is an introduction one, as a starting point as well as looking forward which is the better direction to move in? I have been reading up a little and it seems C# can be taken to a more granular level as apposed to Vb, which makes it more powerful.

Suggestions, if you don’t mind?

Regards.

• Hi,

Give this article a read -

http://dnjonline.com/article.aspx?ID=mar05_vbvscsharp

Jinx. 🙂

• Thanx.

• I suggest c#, it's a language more professional and clearer syntactic. Also the compiler is optimized to c#, windows Vista has been develop in c#.

Anyway, check this link to compare both language: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/vbnet_c__difference.aspx

• Mark Kinnear (6/27/2008)

I have been reading up a little and it seems C# can be taken to a more granular level as apposed to Vb, which makes it more powerful.

No, that is not true. Whoever said that just knows C# better than they know VB.net.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Sergio Seseña (6/28/2008)

I suggest c#, it's a language more professional and clearer syntactic. Also the compiler is optimized to c#...

Sorry, Sergio, but this just isn't true. "Professional" and "clearer" are just perceptions based on personal preferences. And the compiler is not optimized to C# any more than it is to VB.net. These are myths.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• This article is nigh-useless. First of all, it's 4 to 6 years out of date. For that time-frame it does get most of the explicit facts that it states correct, but is consistently incorrect in its interpretation and application of them. For instance it dismisses Optional parameters as a "Legacy" feature "good for COM stuff" which is about the least useful application of this feature. (Anyone familiar with a command-oriented language like SQL, should have no trouble grasping the desirability of optional arguments and clauses).

Worse though is his implicit errors: he lists some capability on one side, but omits it from the other, implying that it does not have this capability when it actually does. For instance, reading this article you would get the impression that C# cannot declare either private or shared variables, which couldn't be more wrong.

[/font]

• This article is OK. Though he gets a lot of the details wrong, he gets the big issues right: which one is "better" is largely a matter of personal preference. In terms of features and capabilities, there isn't 10 cents worth of difference between them.

[/font]

• The real difference between these languages isn't the hair-splitting technical differences, nor is it the religious-based flame-wars over what are simply style differences and personal preferences.

No, the Real difference is embodied in the question "Which one is better for your career." And there is a clear answer for that: C# is ascendant right now and has been for some time: C# programmers get higher average salaries and have more new jobs available and are generally in higher demand. Of course 3 years from now, things could be completely different...

Still, if I were in your shoes today, I would go with C#, and that has nothing to do with my personal preferences (which would be exactly the opposite).

[/font]

• rbarryyoung (6/28/2008)

The real difference between these languages isn't the hair-splitting technical differences, nor is it the religious-based flame-wars over what are simply style differences and personal preferences.

No, the Real difference is embodied in the question "Which one is better for your career." And there is a clear answer for that: C# is ascendant right now and has been for some time: C# programmers get higher average salaries and have more new jobs available and are generally in higher demand. Of course 3 years from now, things could be completely different...

Still, if I were in your shoes today, I would go with C#, and that has nothing to do with my personal preferences (which would be exactly the opposite).

I'd have to agree. I'm currently in the job market (anyone with a dream data job in the NC or PA/DE markets - let me know!), and for every request for VB.NET I find, I'd say there are 5-10 C# job reqs. C# is the "fashionable" language of the moments in the .NET suite.

The funny part is - in .NET, it really shouldn't matter at all, since they both boil down to the same IL.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I use to work C# and obviously is my point of view.

I try with my experience to answer which is the more powerful language. In terms generally, when i've worked with VB.Net developers i've found many lacks about programming concepts. VB. NET is a easier learning and this supposes less

professionalism. In other way, i also know excellent developers in VB.NET but are less. Important is the methodology and skills to squeeze the language you use.

Regarding myths about performance of compiler C# in this link http://www.nuclex.org/pages/csharp-vs-cxx-performance you can compare performance is not so far C++, why are there a big community programming games in C# and not in VB.NET?.

Mark, I recommend you to develop in C#, i think it's a powerful language.

• Sergio Seseña (6/29/2008)

I try with my experience to answer which is the more powerful language.

Experience: I have programmed in C# as long as it has existed (about 8 years, I think). I have programmed in VB.net and VB as long as they have existed (close to 20 years). It is difficult to estimate the total lines of code that I have wirtten in these two laguages but it is certainly close to 1,000,000. And my experience says that the difference in technical capabilities between these two is less than 1%.

In terms generally, when i've worked with VB.Net developers i've found many lacks about programming concepts. VB. NET is a easier learning and this supposes less

professionalism.

Wow. There are so many prejudices and misconceptions packed in here that it is hard to know where to begin. Let's make a list:

A) VB.net programmers are not "less professional" than C# programmers. Your personal experiences are not evidence to support this kind of prejudiced opinion. In fact, I've been dealing with anti-Basic Bigotry my entire career, and yet in thirty years not one shred of proof has ever been offered, it's all just C programmers trying to feel superior to Basic programmers.

B) Being smart enough to choose a language that is "easier to learn" does not make someone "less professional".

C) None of this is relevant anyway. You started out claiming that C# was "more profesional" than VB.net. Since I challenged you to prove that, you've suddenly switched to claiming that VB.net programmers are less professional than C# programmers! That isn't the same thing at all, and ultimately has nothing to do with the OP's question, which was about the relative merits of the two languages, not the relative merits of their programmers.

Regarding myths about performance of compiler C# in this link http://www.nuclex.org/pages/csharp-vs-cxx-performance you can compare performance is not so far C++, why are there a big community programming games in C# and not in VB.NET?

OK, I did go there, and it in no way supports your claim that C# is better optimized than VB.net, since it has not a single word about VB.net. Yes, it does claim that C# is almost as fast as C++ (no references, data or test sets to support that claim) and from that I would conclude that VB.net is also "almost as fast" as C++, because every documented, credible study has shown that C# and VB.net EXE's have almost identical performance.

And popularity is no indication that something is technically better than anything else. And just because something is popular among game developers, does not make it better for the rest of us. For decades, most games were developed in macro assembler. That sure didn't mean that the rest of us should have been developing with it.

And does the fact that far more Web sites are developed with Java than with C# make Java a better language than C#? I think not. Furthermore, 6 years ago there were far more new apps being developed in VB.net than in C#, did that mean that VB.net was better than C# then, but now it isn't?

Mark, I recommend you to develop in C#, i think it's a powerful language.

APL is a powerful language, but I honestly couldn't recommend it to 99.9% of the programmers in the world.

[/font]

• If what you want to do is to get a high-power high-paying career developing applications for financial industries then of course you should take C#.NET. If you work outside of a major metropolitan area, especially New York City, aren't interested in that much stress and expect to be developing software for small to mid-sized companies then go right ahead and learn the VB.NET that they will be developing software in. You are much less likely to be getting six figures but it will be enough to live on.

• Personally, I prefer VB, but that's simply due to the fact that my first programming experiences were in VBA, and VB.NET was easier for me to pick up.

As far as functionality goes, there isn't any significant difference.

As far as job-market goes, I'd say C# has more opportunities, but by that same measure, it has more competition for those opportunities. At least, that's what I've seen in my cursory examination of the subject.

I'm far from an expert on either language, or on the subject of web programming. But I am good at marketing, and I have to say that C# has better marketing right now.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Yes, it is personal preference. I started my career with C++ and PowerScript. So when I picked up .NET I gravitated to C#, which has a similar syntactical feel.

I also have a visceral dislike of using the words "Me" and "My" in code. I feel that use of the first person in code is poor grammar. Reading VB code littered with "Me" and "My" is comparable to listening to Elmo on Sesame Street continually refer to himself in the third person, "Elmo wants cake!"

As demonstrated above, personal preference can be very strong--do not discount its power.

I've gathered a lot of ammunition on this subject because forces at my workplace tried to push me to VB. I won and am currently working exclusively in C#. 😀

This article was the piece de resistance in my push for C#:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/dotnet/CSharpVersusVB.aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply