Varibale editing before running package

• Hi All,

I have a variable which needs to be edited every time when i run a package,do we have any kind of option to edit this variable(kind of alerting user or prompting) before we run the SSIS package ?

Thanks,

Ganga

• Hi Ganga,

I suppose it depends how you are running your SSIS packages. You can use the set values within the sql agent job calling the package and configure variable values which you can change before you execute the package.

Or you could create an SSRS report which passes parameters to variables within your package and then executes your SSIS package.

Or could use package configurations held in the database and update via sql script before runtime.

There are ways to do it but I suppose the design consideration will be based on your chose execution method and whether the packages are being executed by users/developers.

Thanks

Graeme

• Another possibility is that you could store the variable in a database somewhere. When the package runs, it picks this value up and executes accordingly. It depends on your exact requirements.

What you should not do, by the way, is ask the user for run-time input via some sort of dialog box.

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Phil Parkin (9/14/2011)

What you should not do, by the way, is ask the user for run-time input via some sort of dialog box.

Indeed. SSIS is meant for ETL and/or maintenance purposes, and thus should be by nature an automatic background process.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• I'm sure there are as many solutions as there are developers. My two cents. You could start your package with a data profiler task and run if or send mail it the variable is not right

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply