Variable Syntax for User Input

• I am writing this query so users could input values for two variables from drop downlists in Reporting Services. The two variables will be: @Operator which will be (=,<=,etc) and @EquipmentCount which will be a number.

When I run this it says the command completed. It doesn't say that those variables that aren't supplied need to be supplied.

DECLARE

@Statement NVARCHAR(100),@Operator NVARCHAR, @EquipmentCount INT,@sSQL NVARCHAR(200)

SET  @Statement = 'select count (*) as carrier_count from v_MTSTM_EquipmentCountByCarrier where equipment_count'

SET @sSQL =  @Statement + @Operator + @EquipmentCount

And if I run this with the user inputed variables set then it says Error converting the nvarchar value 'select count (*).....' to a column of data type int.

DECLARE

@Statement NVARCHAR(100),@Operator NVARCHAR, @EquipmentCount INT,@sSQL NVARCHAR(300)

SET  @Statement = 'select count (*) as carrier_count from v_MTSTM_EquipmentCountByCarrier where equipment_count'

SET @Operator = '='

SET @EquipmentCount = '20'

SET @sSQL =  @Statement + @Operator + @EquipmentCount

Any ideas????? TIA

• Create proc MyProc @Operator as varchar(2), @EquipmentCount as INT,

AS

Set nocount on

select count (*) as carrier_count from dbo.v_MTSTM_EquipmentCountByCarrier where 0 <

case when @Operator = '<' and equipment_count ' and equipment_count > @EquipmentCount then 1

when @Operator = '=' and equipment_count = @EquipmentCount then 1

else 0 end

set nocount off

• SET @sSQL =  @Statement + @Operator + CONVERT(nvarchar,@EquipmentCount)

Andy

• You don't need dynamic sql to do this task, please stay away from it.

• Thanks for the suggestions. Dynamic SQL is new to me. I still have been unsuccessfull. I need to read about the code both of you have supplied so I may understand exactly what is happening. I'll post what I end up with. And feel free to post any other suggestions! Thanks again for your time!!!!!!!!     

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply