Using SystemDSN for a website

• hi all: I have a website with SQL server database. I have been so far using 'full' connection strings for my ADODB.Connection object to access the database. I'm now thinking of setting up a 'System DSN' in my server and connecting through it. However I'm not aware of the performanace issues in doing so. I have situations where multiple users will be accessing/updating the data thru the same DSN at the same time. I wanted to get your views on the performance related issues you might have faced with using System DSNs. Also let me know if there is some place from which I can read up on this.

Thanks.

• A DSN is nothing more than a configuration file (or other medium) that holds the info normally in a connection string. So having multiple users connection 'through a DSN' is no performance issue. However, I see no reason why you would need to use it. I would prefer to use the OLEDB provider for SQL Server and connect using a normal connection string.

See http://www.connectionstrings.com/ for information about connection strings.

• I agree with Chris.  I prefer not to use the DSN's on a machine.  I feel that using the OLEdb provider and the correct connection string allows me to have more control with the connections.  I also do not need to create anything on the web server itself so there is nothing to maintain.

Kindest Regards,
    David

** Obstacles are those frightening things that appear when we take our eyes off the goal. **

• Thanks for the replies guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply