Using sp_add_jobstep

• I am using this to add a jobstep to an existing job.  This step is to call a separate stored procedure that accepts two parameters.  I am having trouble with the syntax for @additional_parameters.  Here is my code.  My @additional_parameters is obviously not correct.

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobstep

@job_name = 'SampleJob',

@step_id = 1,

@step_name = 'SampleJob_Step1',

@subsystem = 'TSQL',

@command = 'EXEC DevDatabase.dbo.spProcess',

@additional_parameters = @id, @userid,

@database_name = 'DevDatabase'

Any help would be much appreciated!

MSSQL 2000

• @additional_parameters is going to need to be either on @parameter that is a concatenated string, or you will need to pass it in dynamically and read the two @parameter independently within the SP:

EXEC msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobstep

@job_name = 'SampleJob',

@step_id = 1,

@step_name = 'SampleJob_Step1',

@subsystem = 'TSQL',

@command = 'EXEC DevDatabase.dbo.spProcess',

@additional_parameters = "@id, @userid",

@database_name = 'DevDatabase'

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Your additional parameters value needs to be wrapped in single quotes.  Assuming that you want to have both @id and @userid as parameters, replace your line with:

@additional_parameters = CHAR(33) + @id + ', ' + @userid + CHAR(33)

Hope this helps

Mark

• CHAR(33) is an exclamation point.  You can use CHAR(34) double quotes or CHAR(39) single quotes... But you will still probably need something within you SP to seperate out those @Parameters, (is my guess...)

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• All great points and I greatly appreciate it!  I ended up using, "@command = @commandValue," and setting the @commandValue to include the exec and parameters together:

Set @commandValue = "EXEC DevDatabase.dbo.spProcess '" + @id + "', '" + @userid + "'"  .

Hopefully that is appropriate, but it works perfectly from what I can tell.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply