Using Litespeed for D.R.?

• We are migrating all databases from a 2 Proc server running windows 2003 standard edition and SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition(EE) to a 4 Proc server running windows 2003 EE and SQL Server 2000 EE.  Our operations team wants us to move all the databases over.  The new machine will have the same Name and IP as the old server.  We use IMCEDA's Litespeed to backup all our databases:

1.  Has anyone used Litespeed to restore the system db's?  Did you encounter any problems with master or msdb?  Did you have to fix ID's, move DTS packages or recreate jobs(because of GUID's) or did things sync after restoring the master and msdb and the model and user db's?

2.  Anyone know of any documentation on this process in general?

Thanks,

Mike

• I have not done it that way in the past. I create the new DB environment, create blank databases and restore the database from the lite speed backup. you will have to drop logins and re-add afterward since the SIDs are different for the logins. here is the code I use for SQL LiteSpeed. NOTE. I use BKP and TKP file extentions for my LiteSpeed backups, so I know which is which.

--   NATIVE SQL SERVER SYNTAX SINGLE RESTORE FULL DATABASE

RESTORE  filelistonly

from disk = 'F:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_DEV\infolease\db.bak'

RESTORE DATABASE db

FROM DISK = 'F:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_DEV\infolease\db.bak'

WITH MOVE 'db_dat' TO 'E:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_DEV\Data\db.MDF',

MOVE 'db_log' TO 'F:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_DEV\db.LDF',

REPLACE

--   SQL LITESPEED SYNTAX SINGLE RESTORE FULL DATABASE

EXEC master.dbo.xp_restore_filelistonly     

@filename = 'G:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\db\TEST\db.BKP'

EXEC master.dbo.xp_restore_database  @database='db',

@filename = 'G:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\infolease\TEST\db.BKP',

@with = 'MOVE "db_dat" TO "E:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\Data\db.MDF"',

@with = 'MOVE "db_log" TO "f:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\db.LDF"',

@with = 'REPLACE'

--   SQL LITESPEED SYNTAX FULL DB FOLLOWED BY TRANS LOG

EXEC master.dbo.xp_restore_database  @database='db',

@filename = 'G:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\fastiron\TEST\db,

@with = 'MOVE "db_Data" TO "E:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\Data\db.MDF"',

@with = 'MOVE "db_Log" TO "f:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\db.LDF"',

@with = 'REPLACE',

@with = 'NORECOVERY'

--   SQL LITESPEED TRANS LOG RESTORE WHEN ANOTHER LOG FILE WILL BE RESTORED AFTERWARD

EXEC master.dbo.xp_restore_log  @database='db',

@filename = 'G:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\fastiron\TEST\db.TKP',

@with = 'NORECOVERY'

--   SQL LITESPEED SINGLE TRANS LOG RESTORE

EXEC master.dbo.xp_restore_log  @database='db',

@filename = 'G:\Systemdata\MSSQL$REFINERY2_TEST\fastiron\TEST\db.TKP'

HTH

Cody Pack
    MCSE Windows 2000
    MCDBA SQL Server 2000

• Thank you for the info.

I am familiar with that type of restore.  We will be migrating about 90 databases this way.  To sync the ID's...I'm not too worried about.  I am more concerned with jobs being out of sync with the underlying DTS packages and their GUIDs.  Have you encountered this problem before?

We moved these 90 databases from about 20 different servers to the two 2 Proc boxes because the parts were not in for the two 4 Proc boxes.  We figured we would leave them there, but the apps want us to move them to the 4 Proc boxes, now that all the parts are in.  We went through this process once and I was hoping that we wouldn't hit the same issues with ID's and GUID's because in this case, the system databases will be the same.  The Server name and IP's would be the same.  It sounds like there is know way around this?

• There should be no issue as the Litespeed doesn't alter what's in teh backup, just compresses it.

If you're worried, you can always convert the litespeed backups back to native and perform normal resotres for the system dbs.

• Last month, I migrated a test server to a new machine following a very similar path as the one you describe.  Last weekend, I migrated all of our production databases (42) to a new server.  In both cases, the new machines had the same name and IP as the old servers.  I used Litespeed for all of the restores and had no issues.  For my situation, I treated this as a DR test and followed my DR plans.

• While backup time and size using Litespeed is cut considerably, restore time is about the same as for the native restore. I would be cautios (do a lot of testing before) using it on Databases over 600GB+.

• Hi....Greetings !!

You may also try using SQl-Backtrack for SQl-Server.

Its a BMC Software product with many capabilities that the native sql server does not provide.

You can download a trial version of the software to kind of have a trial.

http://www.bmc.com/products/proddocview/0,,0_0_0_1058,00.html

Thanks,

Kishore.

• Thank you all for your help!

Mike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply