Using a Log Shipping Server for reporting

• I dont know if this is in the right area but I will go on anyway. We are planning to setup a Log Shipping Server as part of our disaster recovery plan.  In doing so is there any reason why we could not use the Log Shipped Server as a source for reporting using tools like Business Objects/Crystal Reports or Microsoft Reporting Services?  I am hoping we can use it instead of hitting our production database.

Any thoughts on the subject will be appreciated 

Pete

• Yes there is a reason you canNOT do this.

When log shipping a database is in recovery mode.

When in recoverymode connections can be established for read only purposes, but if connections are open while a log is being restored, then the restore will fail.

I would not recommend this approach.

Reporting should be done somewhere other than the warm standby, and if possible, somewhere besides the production server.

• It is possible but its a trade off with latency.

Depending upon how often you need to 'pass' the trans logs across the the warm standby server will reflect this. If these are often, then using it as a reporting server would not be feasible.

Paul R Williams.

• Yes, you can. We use logshipping for reporting and DR purposes.

We restore logs from 5pm thru 4am and from 4am thru 5pm we run various reports. On wknd we synchronize db by restoring db from the primary server. If someone occidently need to run a report or run a batch at night ( while logs are being restored), he/she simply would't be able to do that without any impact on log restore

• true

you can select to terminate users when u make database plan

u just have to post the transaction logs wiht bit more differnce than warm sttandby serer e.g. warm standby should post in 10 minutes then report warm standby should post in 30 mins

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply