User Defined Function: order by won't work

• kathyoshea (1/6/2009)

Create a new multi-statement table-valued function.

Select the data and use the order by in the loading of the table that is returned.

This works in all the testing I've done.

That's still not guaranteed to work. In SQL, there is no guarantee that order inserted = order returned. In many cases, with small tables and simple queries, that will happen. It doesn't mean it will happen in all cases everywhere, every time.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I might be missing something, but how about creating a sorting key when populating the table and the selecting from table order by sortkey...

• J (1/6/2009)

I might be missing something, but how about creating a sorting key when populating the table and the selecting from table order by sortkey...

If you're going to add an Order By to it, why use a special column for that, when you probably already have one? The problem here is someone trying to get the order directly from the function, instead of in an outer query.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• instead of in an outer query

Yup. I drifted away from the original question.

• J (1/6/2009)

instead of in an outer query

Yup. I drifted away from the original question.

Because if it's not in the outermost query, you can't guarantee it will work. Might, might not. I don't like relying on luck in queries.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• If all the data being fetched was in a covering index, would that guarantee the order?

Todd Fifield

• tfifield (1/6/2009)

If all the data being fetched was in a covering index, would that guarantee the order?

Todd Fifield

Not with a SELECT. I've got a code example around here somewhere that shows that even a single column table with a clustered index on it can still give you the wrong order even if you use and index "hint"... I'm trying to find it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• tfifield (1/6/2009)

If all the data being fetched was in a covering index, would that guarantee the order?

Todd Fifield

Once more with feeling...

The only way to absolutely guarantee an order is to use an order by clause. All other hacks and tricks may work under specific conditions in the current versions of SQL and may change at any time if the underlying implementation changes.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Once again a UDF got you in troubles because of hidden joins !

You should really rework that to proper joins in you calling queries and get control over you queries.

However there may be a TEMPORARY bypass by using the startup parameter that has been provided for the "views with order by nolonger work" problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926292

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• ALZDBA (1/7/2009)

However there may be a TEMPORARY bypass by using the startup parameter that has been provided for the "views with order by nolonger work" problem.

With one caveat:

From the kb article:

Note Trace flag 168 must be set before the database is migrated to SQL Server 2005. If trace flag 168 is set after the database is migrated, the query result will remain unsorted.

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (1/7/2009)

ALZDBA (1/7/2009)

With one caveat:

From the kb article:

Note Trace flag 168 must be set before the database is migrated to SQL Server 2005. If trace flag 168 is set after the database is migrated, the query result will remain unsorted.

Darn little notes :hehe:

The OP could still test it....

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply