User can connect on one machine but not another

• Application Info:

- Access Project 2002 FE

- SQL Server 2000 BE

- MDAC 2.8 SP1 on Win XP SP2

- User base: 1400+

The application is a survey. So far, 396 people have connected successfully and 4 have reported the issue described below.

Problem:

A user can't connect to the DB on his machine (logged on as him) but can connect if he logs on to my machine (as him).

We all logon to a domain so I can't figure out if there's a component like MDAC (our versions are the same) that's outdated on his machine or if he doesn't have permission to something.

It seems like it would be component related since he would have less permission on my machine given that he's never logged on to it before and all rights would be granted from the domain.

If I "SHIFT" into the Access .adp I can't see tables or queries on his machine but when I go to File | Connection and use the Test Connection button I receive the "Test connection succeeded." message.

Does anybody know what else Access and/or SQL Server cares about on the local machine that would be causing the failure?

Thanks,

Chris Davis

• When you say you can "see the tables" inside the Access app, can you actually open them and see data, or are you just seeing their name?

• What is the error that is reported?

Have you checked that the macro security settings for access are the same on those machines?

Does the attempted connection show up in the profiler on SQL?

Can you connect to the database using your login on their machine?

Does your app have any references apart from the usual ones, and are they working properly on those machines?

Just a few to get you started

Steve

• We had a similar problem & it ended up being the fact that the named pipes protocol was not enabled on the server being accessed.  I enabled it & the user was able to connect fine.  Not sure if it is the same thing with yours but thought I would throw it out there.

John

• Blame mdac, it has a lot to answer for.  I'm sure some of the jet stuff was removed from mdac 2.7 and >.  Try installing mdac 2.6 on his pc to see if this fixes it.

• This is a long shot, but is it possible your user has a File DSN set up with the same name as the System DSN on other machines?

Regards,

Dan

• Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good info but still no luck.

Re: Monte Pix

Yes, you can open them and see data if he's on my machine. No names if he's on his machine.

Re: Stephen Turner

- The only error I get is when I let the app run normally which executes the code behind frmStartup. That's why I "shifted" into the app and discovered that I couldn't even see the tables.

- If I log onto his machine I experience the same problem he does.

- I still need to check the other stuff you mentioned

Re: laker 42

- I found an odd post from 2003 the other day that was also talking about named pipes so I thought this must be it when you posted but no luck. The server didn't have the protocol but after adding and rebooting still no luck

Re: Ben Scorer

- It's got to be MDAC. Nothing else is working.

Re: Dan Crawford

I'm using OLE DB not ODBC but it did give me an idea to test an ODBC connection to the server from the broken machine. Interesting enough I can create an ODBC connection and use it to link the tables in a .MDB. Once linked I could open and view data.

I'm taking a trip to the machine tomorrow to try the other stuff mentioned. If it doesn't work then I'll probably just throw it out the window and we can get him another machine.

Thanks for all the help...and keep it coming if you have other ideas.

Chris Davis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply