URGENT HELP - Restore database

• Hi,

Our server was taken down. I don't have any backups of the database. But I have all the mdf and ldf files. I have installed sql server on a new hard drive. Can any one tell me how to restore the database using the mdf and ldf files.

Thanks.

• You want to place the files in the locations you intend to use them, then use the Attach Database command from Enterprise Manager/Management Studio or look into using the CREATE DATABASE statement with FOR ATTACH.

And take backups next time!

• when in Object Explorer, right-click on icon 'Databases' of the Server where u r about to restore your DB

then click 'Restore DB..'

Restore DB Wizard window will pop-up

configure the restore operation (use Help if needed) - run the wizard

• I followed the steps from this kb. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224071/EN-US/. I was able to reattach all the user databases, model and msdb database. When I tried to detach and attach the master database, it is not working. I stopped the server, copied the mdf and ldf files to the new location, and when I tried to restart the server, it says

"A connection could not be established to (LOCAL)

Reason: SQL Server does not exists or access denied.

ConnectionOpen (Connect())..

Please verify SQL Server is running and check you SQL Server registration properties and try again.

"

• Try connecting to server with "." as server name and see if it connects. If it does then u can change the relationship between "LOCAL" and ur actual server name.

Thanks

Sreejith

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply