Urgent help on Sql server connectivity

• Here is the problem I am facing..

From Machine A I am able to connect to Machine B using either the instant name or IP address.(using Management studio)

But from Machine A, I can only connect to Machine C using instance name.

When I checked the setting for Machine B with Machine C , I found no difference.

Also, firewall is turned off and all the setting in configuration manager is same in both machine. How come I can connect to Machine B with either ip address or instance name but not the same with Machine C.

I need to connect to Machine C with ipp address as I need to remotely work through VPN connection.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated….

• Is C a default instance or a named instance? If it is named, do you have the SQL Browser service running?

• Machine C is a named instance. However the default instance does not exists any more on the machine.

The configuration manager has info only for the named instnace and not for the default isntance.

I have checked the configuration manager for Named instance and SQL Server browser is running.

Looking forward for your response...

• THANKS FOR TRYING TO HELP. i GREATLY APPRECITE IT. i COULD RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

I was not refereing the named instance server properly.

Instead of refering it as 123.XXX.XXX.XXX\MachineC, I was refering it as MachineC

I was excluding the IP address..

• Try connecting by providing the ip address with the port as server:port. The port can be obtained from the configuration manager -> protocols -> TCP - I assume this is how you are connecting.

Presumably you have already confirmed that machine C is on the IP address you think it is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply