Upload and search within documents

• Hi

could anybody tell me (or point me to a link) which details how I can:

Upload .pdf, word, etc. files into SQL server

Perform a search within these documents for keywords.

I've been researching in the full-text facility in SQL Server 2005 for the search.....

Thanks!

• Hey dnf999,

I was just asked to set up a DB that would allow our customers to store docs as well.  We never thought about making them searchable.

Very good thinking!  I was going to store them as BLOB's with a doc_name, file_type, user_name, added_date, mod_date column or something along those lines.  I was only thinking about searching by doc name and dates.

This would be a great feature to add!  I don't know the answer myself.

I hope someone will help you ( and me ) with some proven method or even a good direction to go in. 

I don't think I have had much luck with full-text indexing.  I will be using 2005 for this,  so maybe it will have other options?

I last tried this on mssql7 or just when 2000 came out.  I think I had to re-index all the time and maybe it only indexed from the first word etc.?  I really need to read up on this again.  Thanks for making me want to add this!

Be well and good luck,

Gene

• Hi Gene

Thanks for the reply none the less.  I believe that full-text search has the capability to search within docs, but I'm unsure how user friendly this is!!

how do you convert files to BLOB's?

Thanks!

Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply