Upgrading Win2008 R1 Std to R2 Ent with SQL Server 2005 Ent installed

• We wish to do an upgrade of the OS from (x64) Windows Server 2008 Std to R2 Enterprise to utilise more ram in the server (32gb to 64gb). However, we have a number of sql instances on this server and i'm interested to know if anyone has ever done this successfully? Will the Windows upgrade amend any dll's or regestry settings that will stop sql server from working?

Unfortunately i don't have a spare server to test this on and ideally i don't want to flatten the box and rebuild it although i've always been one for doing this when installing a new operating system.

any info or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated 🙂

_________________________________________________________________________________SQLGeordieWeb:- Jarrin ConsultancyBlog:- www.chrisjarrintaylor.co.ukTwitter:- @SQLGeordie

• What is the actual requirement, Is the requirement to increase the RAM on the Windows server or to increase the RAM for the SQL Server.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• The requirement is to utilise the full 64gb of ram in the box as was intended. Just started here this week and one of my first tasks is to configure the instances installed and when I was collating my hardware / software stats I noticed not all the ram was being used. If we don't do this then 32gb of ram is being wasted. The extra ram is to be used for the 5 sql instances installed on the box.

And no, it wasn't me who built the server with the wrong OS!! 🙂

_________________________________________________________________________________SQLGeordieWeb:- Jarrin ConsultancyBlog:- www.chrisjarrintaylor.co.ukTwitter:- @SQLGeordie

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply