Upgrading to SQL server 2005 Developer Edition

• Hi I currently have this edition of SQL server on my laptop:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.2039 (Intel X86)

May 3 2005 23:18:38

Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation

Desktop Engine on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2)

It is running on SQL Server Management Studio 2005.

I wish to upgrdade to Developer Edition (as my laptop won't support Enterprise as it's running on Windows XP).

I have some questions, which I would be grateful if somebody could help answering:

1- will all my databases remain as they are?

2- Will I loose any functionality?

3- Will it upgrade or intstall a separate edition?

4- Can anybody recommend where to purchase Developer 2005 edition?

5- I currently have 2gb capped database limit on my version, will I get a no capped limit?

6- Will the 2gb Capped limit increase to uncapped once I install (i.e. can i use my previous 2gb database and add more data to above 2 gb)

The main issues are that I need an uncapped limit for my DB's and that I will keep my existing db's.

Many thanks!!!!!

• MS order page for Developer Edition:

http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=f544888c-2638-48ed-9f0f-d814e8b93ca0&crumb=catpage&catid=cd1daedd-9465-4aef-a7bf-8f5cf09a4dc0#HowToBuy

The developer edition is functionally equivalent to Enterprise Edition, so the cap on DB sizes should go away.

Not sure about what will happen when upgrading from MSDE to 2005, but regular 2000 to 2005 upgrade works fine and leaves databases in 2005.  Or you can install side by side in a new instance.

As always when upgrading, take backups first!

• Dev edition won't upgrade from SQL 2000 Enterprise, not sure about MSDE.

• HI Anders Pedersen 

Is the developer edition really as cheap as $49.95???

Would this be the correct version that I need?

SQL Noob - "Dev edition won't upgrade from SQL 2000 Enterprise, not sure about MSDE."

does this mean I need to uninstall?  Or if I install Developer, I will have 2 versions? 2000 and 2005?

Thanks 

• I THINK an upgrade would be ok.  But being a laptop I can't see why it would be a big deal to just backup the databases, uninstall MSDE, install Dev then restore the databases.

And yes it is that cheap, but could be cheaper.  If your company has MSDN subscription the developer edition should be in it, or if you have a SQL 2005 Enterprise Edition DVD, the developer edition should be on it as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply