upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2016( VM+OS+DB)

• I have an infra which is running on VM 5.1. It has windows 2003 and SQL 2005 installed there.
    Now, I need to migrate the SQL to 2016 on top of Windows 2016.
    I guess VM 5.1 also needs to be upgraded.
    IWhat should done first? Should it be VM first, windows next and SQL last?
    can I find some documents or links to support such migration planning

• My personal preference is to build a new server with New OS and A New install of SQL Server, then migrate the databases using backup and restore, or even simply stopping the SQL Server Service on the old server and moving the MDF/LDF files, then attaching them on the new server.

One thing I will say is that if you are migrating your databases from 2005, to 2016 make sure your new server has the same default language as the old one otherwise you might run into problems later on. (See my other post 🙁 )

• tony.barnsley - Friday, June 30, 2017 2:30 AM

My personal preference is to build a new server with New OS and A New install of SQL Server, then migrate the databases using backup and restore, or even simply stopping the SQL Server Service on the old server and moving the MDF/LDF files, then attaching them on the new server.

One thing I will say is that if you are migrating your databases from 2005, to 2016 make sure your new server has the same default language as the old one otherwise you might run into problems later on. (See my other post 🙁 )

Link to your old post please...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply