Upgrade 7->2k; help with collation problems!

• So, here we are upgrading (finally) to SQL 2k, and I found this article - http://www.sqlteam.com/item.asp?ItemID=9066, which was very helpful and got me started in the right direction. However, not being a MSSQL expert (too many hats to master it), I wasn't too aware of collations. Well, it's come back to bite me! Here's the thing - every database I bring over has a different collation than the new server. I can (fairly) easily change the database once it's come over, but that's not enough.

Here's the question: How do I programmatically change all the collations for all the objects within each table within each database? They don't all need it, but I can't do it by hand (it'd take weeks!).

Any thoughts (please!?)?

TIA

• Check out this thread for additional info:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=139473

On the surface, programmatically changing collation orders doesn't seem too difficult a concept, until you realise that you need to drop associated constraints/indexes etc before changing the collation and then recreate them. I have not seen a script that can do this well.

Regards

Phil

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
    - Martin Rees
    The absence of consumable DDL, sample data and desired results is, however, evidence of the absence of my response
    - Phil Parkin

• Uugh. Nothing like a SMOOOOTH upgrade...

How about a script that lists the issue-laden columns?

• You could EM to script all the tables for each SQL2K database which will give you column collations which you can then analyze.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• To id the collation issues try the script below. (if this doesn't appears ok post a reply with you email address and I'll email you the script).

Regards,

Stu

--===============================--

use master

go

if exists (select name from sysobjects where name = 'sp_HelpCollation' and type = 'P')

begin

drop proc sp_HelpCollation

end

go

create proc sp_HelpCollation

@mode  varchar(20) = null

as

/***********************************************************************************************************************************************

* Name:  sp_HelpCollation

* Author:  SB

* Date:  2002-07-01

* Purpose: Sproc to provide collation info

* Revision History

* ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* |  Revision |  Date  |  Changed By |  Comments  

* ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* |  0.1  |  2002-07-01 |  SB  | Initial Release

**************************************************************************************************************************************************/

begin

set nocount on

--help text

if @mode is null

begin

print 'Usage: sp_HelpCollation [''default''|''verbose''|''local''|''local_all'']'

end

--default = default server level collation

if @mode  = 'Default'

begin

select 'Default Database Collation : ' +

convert(varchar(100),databasepropertyex('tempdb','collation')) +

char(10) +

'All databases will be created with this collation by default' +

char(10) +

'Tempdb uses this collation for all global and local hash table columns unless specified otherwise.'

end

--local = local database collation

if @mode = 'local'

begin

select 'Database Collation for ' + db_name() + ' : ' + convert(varchar(100),databasepropertyex(db_name(),'collation'))

end

--local_all = local database and column level collation

if @mode = 'local_all'

begin

select 'Database Collation for ' + db_name() + ' : ' + convert(varchar(100),databasepropertyex(db_name(),'collation'))

print 'Column level collations in ' + db_name()

select  distinct object_name(sc.id) as TableName,

sc.name as ColumnName,

sc.collation as Collation

from syscolumns sc

inner join sysobjects so

on (so.id = sc.id)

where so.xtype  = 'u'

and sc.collation is not null

end

--verbose = collation at all levels

if @mode = 'verbose'

begin

select 'Default Database Collation : ' +

convert(varchar(100),databasepropertyex('tempdb','collation'))+

char(10) +

'All databases will be created with this collation by default.' +

char(10) +

'Tempdb uses this collation for all global and local hash table columns unless specified otherwise.'

print 'Column level collations in ' + db_name()

select  distinct object_name(sc.id) as TableName,

sc.name as ColumnName,

sc.collation as Collation

from syscolumns sc

inner join sysobjects so

on (so.id = sc.id)

where so.xtype  = 'u'

and sc.collation is not null

end

end

go

grant exec on sp_HelpCollation to public

go

exec sp_Ms_MarkSystemObject sp_HelpCollation

go

• Thanks for the assist, all. The problem in my case is being cause by creation and use of temp tables. Because the newly attached databases have a different collation than the tempdb table, and their stored procs use 'create table #temp' actions, the two won't talk well. The solution (for me) is to simply re-write the relevant temp creation routines. Fortunately, I've found the wonder of UDF's; did you know that you can define variables as "tables"!? It really makes this all a lot easier.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply