Upgrade 2005 to 2008 R2 via Backup or Detach & Reattach

• Vendor of app says I can proceed either way. I just wonder about the changes from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 R2. If I detach and reattach will there be old relicks from 2005 ? Will any new 2008 R2 options be lost ? Purely from the SQL perspective what seems to be the best approach. This move will be from one VM to a new VM and the back-out will be turn the original VM back on. The detach-reattach will be less work as the backup restore will require an app install to generate the DB structure.

• They're handled exactly the same.

Only thing is that detach-attach (unless you make a copy of the files) doesn't leave you with a back-out option.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Nice. Yes, will need file copies to maintain back-out. So now I will just plan on the detach-reattach scenario.

• Just create a backup on 2005 and restore on 2008. that's what i did.

• when we did our migration from 2005 to sql 2008 ,we configured logshipping on the databases which needs to be migrated and then just brought it online at the appropriate time.. no fuss what so ever... and we still had the original db (which was taken offline) to brign back online if required

• If I detach and reattach will there be old relicks from 2005 ? Will any new 2008 R2 options be lost ?

In either case (backup and restore or detach and reattach) the databases will be converted to the new file format, but will have a compatibility mode of 90.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply