Updating a sql 2019 database from a sql 2000 database

• Good morning

I have a local sql server 2000 database with an old application, and I would like to make a copy of this database on sql server 2019 which is online with an ip address on a hosting, and will be updated automatically and instantly by this old database .

Please suggest me a solution.

Have a good day

• Ref Upgrade SQL Server to SQL Server

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Also you're not going to be able to do it in one go.

You have absolutely no cat in hells chance of getting a 2000 database to move to 2019 in 1 step.

What ever you choose the minimum required upgrade paths are going to be a minimum 3 hop process

SQL2000 -> SQL 2008R2 -> SQL2012 -> SQL2019.

• jassem40 wrote:

Good morning

I have a local sql server 2000 database with an old application, and I would like to make a copy of this database on sql server 2019 which is online with an ip address on a hosting, and will be updated automatically and instantly by this old database .

Perhaps I'm reading this incorrectly but...

I'm bumping this question because of the part I've embolded and underlined in the original question quoted above because I've not seen anyone do this well across recent versions never mind versions so far apart.  I'm as interested as the OP in seeing how to do this.

I'm also bumping this because it would appear that these folks might have "one of those" apps where there is no replacement app that will work for later versions and the only suggestion, so far, implies that an upgrade should be done.  Ordinarily, I'd agree but there are exceptions,  like I mentioned, where folks simply can't do an upgrade.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi

I don't need to update since my sql 2000 server is local , and I have 10 tables, (I don't need the other objects like stored procedure or trigger), and I want them to be online on my hosting sql server 2019, so that I can create dashboards and have automatic updates.

thanks

• Once you go to SQL2019, the minimum database level is 100 !

That may break some stuff if you were to migrate the db and have your app use it on SQL2019.

On the other side, if your goal is to consult sql2000 data from your sql2019, maybe a linked server solution can help you out.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• hi,

yes I want to consult 10 tables to use them in dashboards.

thanks

• Sounds like your options here are using DTS/SSIS or using linked servers, it is no where near going to be instant, there is going to be delays, just how big of a delay will depend on how frequently you run the packages or population queries, the amount of data, the connectivity between your SQL2000 and SQL2019 machine.

Heck you may even want to look at some sort of message queue system also, service bus etc, which can take stuff from one place and put it into another.

You will not be able to use transactional replication here, without having to jump through multiple different SQL versions to get it to 2019.  Using TX Repl, you would have to jump it to all these versions to get it to the target, and having 5 different publications and subscriptions, heck that's going to be a nightmare to manage. (SQL2000 -> SQL2008 -> SQL2014 -> SQL2017 -> SQL2019)

• I can't think of a way to do it natively that would be robust enough that I would trust it for a production application.  Something like hand coded triggers on the SQL2000 source which use a linked server to get data to the destination might function, but would be a reliability nightmare.

You might look into a third party tool like Qlik Replicate (not affiliated with them, just use their product) depending on how important the new functionality is.  Wouldn't be a cheap solution though.

• Ant-Green wrote:

Also you're not going to be able to do it in one go.

You have absolutely no cat in hells chance of getting a 2000 database to move to 2019 in 1 step.

What ever you choose the minimum required upgrade paths are going to be a minimum 3 hop process

SQL2000 -> SQL 2008R2 -> SQL2012 -> SQL2019.

There is a way to restore old backups, but have to do it with TSQL. Believe Erik Darling had a video about it. I don't know if you can go from 2000 all the way to 2019, but can go back farther than you can through SSMS.

• THANKS

I managed to do it via tsql I created the empty database on sql 2019, after with a dts I will export and replication to specify the update times, and it works very well.

Thanks for your help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply