UPDATE Query problem

• I need to fix an update query to update to middle of string. I think i can do this using the SUBSTRING function but i need to know what to use as the 3rd argument as all of my strings will be different lengths.

example:

SUBSTRING([field],3,%)

% representing multiple length strings.

thanks in advance.

"The grass is always greener over the septic tank." ~Leaf

• What is the criteria for the 3rd argument? In other words, if you did each row, how would you compute the 3rd value.

Steve Jones

sjones@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones

http://www.dkranch.net

• this is for a text field. the 3rd argument needs to represent a multiple length string and up untill this point I thought % would do this.

example:

SUBSTRING(FIELD,3,%) 'should return the following:

CR20AB = 20AB

CR509FDS = 509FDS

• Is the third argument in the Substring function the length of the text field???...if so this should work :

Substring(Field,3,Datalength(Field))

• Thank you.

I could not figure out how to return the data length.

final:

Substring(Field,3,(Datalength(Field)-2))

thanks again.

• Or you could use RIGHT(Field, LEN(Field) - 2)

Note that DATALENGTH() will you give you twice the number of characters for unicode columns (i.e. it returns the number of bytes). LEN() returns the number of characters.

• Or if your field ahs a maximum length use that value. For instance a varchar(100) filed use 100 as the 3rd parameter. It cannot get more data than is actually there.

The reason I suggest this is that LEN and DATALENGTH will cause a performance hit for each row since they must calculate for that row.

Edited by - antares686 on 07/29/2003 04:15:59 AM

• To get the length of a column, you can use the following function:

COLUMNPROPERTY( OBJECT_ID('tablename'),'columnname','PRECISION')

It seems the query optimizer should evaluate it only once instead of for every row.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply