Update a view (view is a table with linked server) error

• When I want to update a field from a view "dbo.Regusers_VACREF" I receive following error:

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "SQLVACRE052-053" returned message "Row handle referred to a deleted row or a row marked for deletion.".

Msg 7346, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Cannot get the data of the row from the OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI10" for linked server "SQLVACRE052-053".

The update query:

UPDATE dbo.Regusers_VACREF SET NAME = 'Sw3rts' WHERE ID=1117698

A directly update to the linked server doesn't give errors/problems:

UPDATE [SQLVACRE052-053].Interactive.vac.RegisteredUser SET NAME = 'Sw3rts' WHERE ID=1117698

The view is only a collection of data from tables on a db on another server...

More info:

- SQL Server 2008 R2 is the server where I query on

- SQL Server 2005 is the linked server ([SQLVACRE052-053])

- Query itself is generated by an application, who can only view his own tables... (so we cann't change the query)

I don't find any reason why the update doesn't work.

• More info:

SELECT u.NAME FROM [SQLVACRE052-053].Interactive.vac.RegisteredUser u WHERE u.ID=1117698

SELECT NAME FROM dbo.Regusers_VACREF WHERE ID=1117698

Both query's are ok, no problems here (with a select), only with the update...

• More info (in meanwhile I'm still googling around):

- All tables in the view have PK

- No triggers in the remote db

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Not tried... I will do

But I cann't change the query itself, because it's programmed already in the application 🙁

• stewartc-708166 (6/15/2011)

have you tried using OPENQUERY?

UPDATE OPENQUERY([SQLVACRE052-053],'SELECT u.NAME FROM Interactive.vac.RegisteredUser u WHERE u.ID=1117698')

SET NAME = 'xxxxxxx'

OPENQUERY worked without any problem.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thanks for the info.

I will ask the application owner to check this problem... hope they can change there working principle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply