Unlimited columns

• good luck; it's been a while since i fiddled with access, but i remember access 2000 had a 255 column limit; maybe the more updated version might not have that limitation;

I looked to see if the ADODB.Recordset had a limitation, but it appears that it does not, it only has a limitation imposed by the provider...ie the JET driver would impose a limit of 255, the SQLOLEDB provider a limit of 1024, etc... on it...so in theory, a disconnected recordset might not have the limitation(except the limitation of available memory on the box?);

maybe you can do your analysis in a program, and insert just the final results into a SQL table.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Lowell for the info!

Unfortunately, the Analysis process takes months - thus requiring permenant storage and fast data access!!

Regards,

TNT

• TNT,

Just for grins, can you post the "header file" and a row or 2 of data (making sure, of course, there are no SSN's, account numbers, etc in the file)?  I've got this nasty little idea in my head...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hi Jeff

Apologies for the late response!

I have posted the files you requested!

HEADER FILE

<FIELDS count="5" >

<FIELD  name="FIELD1" offset="1" length="8" type="D" />

<FIELD  name="FIELD2" offset="9" length="10" type="N" />

<FIELD  name="FIELD3" offset="19" length="43" type="S" />

<FIELD  name="FIELD4" offset="62" length="10" type="N" />

<FIELD  name="FIELD5" offset="72" length="10" type="N" />

</FIELDS>

DATA FILE
    198808061087467916lcjvuvvisfxzhaavnauorraqqjfcngrfgvnkvvtgaxb1920632894681666365

193810231197410064hkworaepxvefmrsjsdgciptemyllbdtbmdjevoppijq243276826 265713799

Regards,
    TNT

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply