unable to start new sql server 2008 instance

• I just installed a second instance of sql server 2008 on my laptop. Installed on Windows 7, and added sp1 patch. Per this website should be fine:

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/john_paul_cook/archive/2009/08/10/sql-server-2008-on-windows-7.aspx

However, my instance is not available from dropdown. I go to Config Manager and find that

SQL Server Browser is stopped. Reason: (Boot, System, Disabled, Unknown).

SQL Server Agent is stopped. Reason: (Boot, System, Disabled, Unknown).

I have right clicked to start but the start button is disabled.

I click on Properties and found that the account these are running under are Network Authority/Local Service and Network Authority/Local Service. My machine is on a huge corporate network and my understanding is that I should be able to logon with my network username/password. This is the same as I use to logon to my laptop.

Will someone please advise how I might get my instance running?

Thanks, Helen

• Start by trying to start the services using SQL Server Configuration Manager. This should give you more detailed errors. Start with the first error it gives, as many times the later ones are because of the first.

Thanks,

Jared

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• Check the SQL error log, it should have the reasons why the service didn't start completely.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • enable the services, then start them. This is why your 'start' is "greyed out".

Browser will need to be running for you to connect to your new named instance, unless you plan on connecting via TCP port instead of instance name.

Agent doesn't really need to be started unless you plan on using your second instance for more than just the standard DB development. Agent runs scheduled jobs and polls the SQL instance for alerts.

• I appreciate the advice, however I never got this second instance running. In the end, I was able to circumvent the need for a second instance. So, problem is 'resolved'. Thank you for your help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply