Unable to find cause of maintenance failure

• I need some assistance on where to look to figure out the cause of a maintenance plan failure. I created a maintenance plan that performs some tasks like CHECKDB(), update statistics, and reindex, etc. The maintenance plan had been working for months. Recently it started failing (I assume due to some database removals, additions, cleanups).

The job that executes the maintenance plan reports failure. When I look at the log history I get a red "x" and a report of failure. The message is generic (ie: Job started as user xyz on sql build 123...) and does not give the specific error cause. So I go to the maintenance plan and view the history/log of that package. However, it has all green check marks and no messages of failure.

Windows event viewer just indicates the package name x failed. No additional information.

So I am at a loss as to what to do next to figure out the cause of the issue. Anyone have suggestions of places to look for additional info on the cause of the error?

Running x64 SQL Server Enterprise on a Active/Passive Cluster. Running cumulative update 8, I have not installed SP3 yet.

• Hey there,

Based on what you have said i would imagine that there is a database that has been removed and the job hasnt been recompiled. Do you run for all databases or specific? If specific and one of the nominated has been removed (or maybe changed recovery model) this would cause the error.

The main plan history shows that no steps have failed cause they havent, they succeed on every database they run on, thats not to say that there isnt anything missing.

Also did you look at the server log, does it mention anything?

You mention stat update and reindex; is that re-organising or rebuilding? If rebuilding no need for the update; actually if re-organising no need for the update..... Maybe drop the update 😉

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

• I specify specific databases, and its possible that one does not exist anymore as we tooks some old applications offline. I will double check all the databases selected and make sure its correct. Sounds like that could be the issue.

• Cool 🙂

Make sure to say changes as this triggers the ssis package to recompile. 😀

Adam Zacks-------------------------------------------Be Nice, Or Leave

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply