Two solutions for my problem, which one is cleaner?

• I have a select query where I do 7 sums

The total number of rows in the query is not more than 150

All the rows exists in the table but I must do the sum only when row has a particular status(status column value = 1)

The problem is when there is no row with status = 1 all my sums return NULL but I need zero instead of NULL

I have two solutions

1 - Do the query with status = 1 and add the ISNULL funtion for each SUM

or

2 - Do the query without "Where status = 1"

In solution 1, I would do the sum on a part of the 150 rows (only those with status = 1) but I maybe have a overhead of 7 ISNULL. And all the ISNULL are there just in case the query returns no row. When there is at least one row with status = 1, ISNULL are in fact not necessary.

In solution 2, I would do the sum on all 150 rows, and then, the sums will work wihout any need of IsNULL because I know I will always SUM in a query returning rows.

I would like to get your opinion on which solution is the most standard. I know but works but I just want something clean so which solution should I use?

Thank you

Martin

• You could do a conditional check on the table prior to executing your aggregation query:

IF EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM Table_Name WHERE status = 1)

SELECT DIM1,

DIM2, ...,DIMN,

SUM(MEASURE1),

SUM(MEASURE2),...,SUM(MEASURE7)

FROM FACT F JOIN

DIM D ON

F.FACT_DIM_FK = D.DIM_SK

WHERE F.STATUS = 1

ELSE

PRINT "HELLO WORLD"

My example uses a hypothetical Dimension and Fact table but I think you will get the drift. I think this would avoid having to use the ISNULL function. If the columns are supposed to be aggregated based upon a business rule (status =1) I think you should opt to explicitly code this rule into the aggregation T-SQL. Just my 2 cents. I hope this helps.

Ken

• Please substitute "FACT" for "Table_Name" in the example I posted. Oops.

Ken

• I agree with Ken that his solution is probably a better way to handle the situation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply