Tune this...Large Estimated Row Size

• If you had a denormalized table that contained roughly 30,000 rows and each row has an estimated row size of 2333, and you try to Select * from this table it takes about 17 seconds to return the data...is there anything that can be done to speed this up assuming that you can't return less columns or less rows and this table must remain as is? Is throwing memory at the problem the only option?

If I try to return 1/2 of the result set it takes 1/2 the time. If I return one column it takes 1 second to run.

This isn't my DB or my application, or my client. Just trying to help a friend.

Thanks.

• Could be IO related, could be insufficient memory, could be network speed. Could also be memory and display time on the client. It's about 70 MB of data you're tossing around

If the table has a clustered index, check that it's not fragmented. If its a heap, check there aren't too many forwarding pointers. Not much else you can really do in the DB.

If the table gets read often then it will be in memory on the server. If not, it will have to be fetched from disk.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Heh... use the GRID mode instead of the TEXT mode...

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• if you actually have to bring back an entire table, and yours is pretty small compared to some I've dealt with, then there's not much you can do. At some point you have to do physical io to bring back the data ( I suppose you could pin the table if you had lots of memory ), however if the table is used often it will live in memory, unless you don't have much.

So plan 1 make sure there's enough memory to cache your table, ideally have more memory than the size of your databases ( if possible )

Plan 2 - if you have to do physical io then have lots of spindles to store the data on, the number of spindles will directly influence retrieval - make sure you have 15k spin speed for them.

Plan 3 - there are solid state drives available - install enough for your table and place the table in its own filegroup on the solid state drives.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Get SQLNitro from http://www.dba24hrs.com. Tell them TheSQLGuru sent you to get a discount. Really an amazing product designed for EXACTLY your problem.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply