trying to grant access to sql server on remote machine to other network users

• ghanshyam.kundu (9/9/2011)

i think that one, where u r stucking, just start it once and try it should work, i also have faced the same problem. i have done the same it worked.

If SQL Server Browser service is stopped and IP along with port number is not provided then connection will be refused

go through the link for know more about sql server browser details

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1946/overview-of-the-sql-server-browser-service/%5B/quote%5D

ghan - thanks for that url - it provides a practical overview of SSBS. I think the following information gets to the crux of it's purpose from my perspective:

•If you have just one instance installed on machine and it is running on default port 1433, then status of SQL Server Browser service does not make any difference in your connection parameters.

•If there are more than one instances running on the same machine, in that case either you have to start SQL Server Browser service or provide the port number along with IP (or server name) and instance name, to access any other instance than default.

I only have 1 instance of SQL Server installed on the remote machine. Therefore, SSBS is not needed for my scenario.

• Thanks everybody for your help - the problem was the end users - I finally forwarded the credentials to a developer user and he was able to show the other users how to connect using the credentials I provided - just type the credentials into SSMS :angry:

This was a very good exercise for me though. Now I'll know that there are no gaps from my end when I need to deploy a database next time and I'll be able to troubleshoot user errors more easily....

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply